Handheld AR template launched to Android device, but it doesn't scann the environment

Hello Community.

I tried the Handheld AR template (fresh and for AR testing purposes), but when the project is launched on the Android device, the app is frozen in the loading page, and it doesn’t capture any images. I only see something like a predefined wallpaper, as shown in the following screenshot:

I am using UE 5.2.1.

I tested it on two different Android devices: the Motorola G71 (Android 11) and the Samsumg A51 (Android 13). But I got the same result.

I also tried uninstalling Android Studio and its related files (I did a clean uninstall following the steps from here).

Then I installed it again, following the documentation. But, again, I got stuck on the same loading page.

I searched on the forum for something related to this issue. I found the following post: “Default AR handheld template not working on device” that seems to be the same issue. But the solution proposed didn’t work on my end.

Did anybody experience the same? How could I fix it? I checked the logs, and it says that the “build is successful”. So it is probably a configuration mismatch.

Thanks in advance for considering a solution for this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/13wk4e9/ar_template_arcore_camera_not_working_52/

I went through the same symptoms and it seems to be an error because it is version 5.2.
Try running version 5.3 or 5.1
In my case, I solved it by changing the version

Hi @Anonymous_7bd4d989ee14371c3396bc0d9f932192

First of all, I would like to thank you for bringing this solution here.

It also worked for me!

The only thing that I will add to the idea of changing the UE version is that I do not recommend the switch from UE5.2 to UE5.3 based on what I experienced. I tried to switch to this version, and then I found myself worse than in the original issue… The template was not even launching on the Android device. I’m not pretty sure why, but many things came up that got me thinking about what happened. For example, UE5.3 uses a different Androind Studio version than UE5.2. And its documentation is not accurate; the steps provided are not equal to the real progress of the Android SDK setup. (For example, the documentation indicates that you have to download the “Flamingo” version of AS, but when you access the link provided, this version is not available). If someone from the Unreal Engine team sees the message, could you please check this? Thank you. @system

The solution to the original issue came up when I tried it again, but with Unreal Engine 5.1. I reinstalled the proper AS and then followed the documentation; finally, the handheld AR template worked fine! It is working on an Android device.

So, in summary, if someone with the same issue reads this, switch to the Unreal Engine 5.1 version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.