Datasmith for Blender!

I’ve tried USD format, and it works good for exporting meshes, BUT it doesn’t export even material slots, I won’t mention textures or material settings… can u imagine that u worked on meshes with the multi-material slots and now you should redo everything in UE - it will be a nightmare. Thus, I just don’t use USD format, even if I want… the GitHub version of the plugin is also not bad for beginner users, BUT we really need a stable version from UE GURUS :sunglasses:, thus we can rely on it… thank you guys :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I use .glb export from blender and datasmith import that file to get instances properly working. It seems it is broken in UE 5.1 as instanced objects don’t get imported for me. Anyone experienced same issue?

Also the unofficial datasmith plugin crashes for me, it seems it is having problems with some materials.

Importing UE5 materials from BLENDER using UDATASMITH will be lost

We need a good plugin to import,

I use blender for my workflows (video fx, cinematics, virtual production, scenics, concepts, matte painting and compositing) and would also love to have an official Datasmith for Blender plugin.

1 Like

Can some member of the EPIC team please tell us, why they don’t even plan to release a Datasmith solution for Blender in the foreseable future? Is this for technical reasons (Blender has some exotic, propritary internal formats which are not compatible with UE5) or political reasons (maybe companies like Autodesk don’t want Blender to steal their thunder even more)?

2 Likes

:point_up: :speak_no_evil:

(Without betraying anyone’s trust, I can just say that Chaos Group has shown that there are no technical reasons.)

1 Like

UE team please give us the answers about this.

1 Like

Please Epic, please! We really need It :sob::crying_cat_face::pray:

2 Likes

Hey @UE_FlavienP ,
the adoption of blender format for datasmith would be extremely useful and I can’t imagine the amount of artist use Blender and export to unreal is still low.
In comparison datasmith natively supports cinema4d for years now …

I’m get used to 3D max but since I tried Blender - it’s ONE LOVE, Epic team please, give us Datasmith for Blender

WHY IS THIS STILL NOT A THING!!! C’mon devs… please

Pleaaaaase, we really NEED this!

Ever since I’ve moved from 3ds Max to Blender I enjoyed making 3D scenes a lot more, only thing I dislike is the work have to put in to transfer an entire scene to UE4/UE5. I’ve tried the non-official Blender Datasmith plugin and that made things already quite good, but it isn’t htere yet and there’s no development for over a few years now.
I’d really appreciate an official Blender Datasmith plugin from Epic.
There’s a fast growing userbase, also professionally, please consider helping us out.

Best Regards,

2 Likes

I moved to Unreal Engine from Unity after UE5 and I loved how datasmith works but this love changed to disappointment when I learned that there is no official addon for Blender. We need this.

6 Likes

Please make an official Datasmith plugin. I mainly use Blender and recently got into Archviz. Baking textures, setting up materials, apply all the textures etc. is a very long and tedious process. Datasmith can be a game changer for Archviz artists. Thanks!

This Thread is nearly two years old now… blender users have increased tenfold

Devs? Hello!?

Still no official Datasmith for Blender?
Devs, please, sort your priorities, you will not make 3d packages obsolete by adding rudimentary edit mesh functions to Unreal, 1000% more helpful would be an official Datasmith for the FREE already fledged out 3d package Blender.

3 Likes

Any updates on this? Millions of people neeed this !

1 Like

Someone in a forum mentioned that it might be possible to link to Unreal from Blender using the Omniverse…I haven’t tested it…