Datasmith for Blender!

I have`nt thought about this. I do see there are both Blender and Unreal connectors for the Omniverse. If it works, it might worth the struggle.

I’ve used the Blender 4 Alpha USD Branch and Unreal USD Stage with some very positive results. No need to have the Omniverse installed. It’s a very simple workflow and works well for keeping scenes synchronised.

2 Likes

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master_init_.py”, line 101, in execute
return export_datasmith.save(context, **keywords)
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\export_datasmith.py”, line 2458, in save
collect_and_save(context, kwargs, basepath)
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\export_datasmith.py”, line 2345, in collect_and_save
material_nodes = [collect_pbr_material(mat) for mat in unique_materials]
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\export_datasmith.py”, line 2345, in
material_nodes = [collect_pbr_material(mat) for mat in unique_materials]
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\export_datasmith.py”, line 1462, in collect_pbr_material
return pbr_nodetree_material(material)
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\export_datasmith.py”, line 1390, in pbr_nodetree_material
n.push(Node(key, value))
File “C:\Users\Pasta\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.6\scripts\addons\blender-datasmith-export-master\data_types.py”, line 90, in init
assert type(attrs) is dict
AssertionError

blender keep telling me this and idk what to do about it

I had a similar log due to incompatible version between the plug-in and Blender version.
Maybe you have already, but check that all versions (Plugin, Blender and UE) are the appropriate ones.

and the shaders get converted?

Please Epic team we need datasmith for blender 4+

2 Likes

Yes… Please update for Blender 4

I just found the continuation of the abovementioned GitHub project on Gumroad for 60 bucks. I guess that’s better than waiting another 3 years.
Not sure if I may post a link here, so just search for “Datasmith Blender Additions”.

Just installed and ran UE5 for the first time, so no bashing pls :sweat_smile: I, too work in the Archviz business in Blender since a couple of years now.
Since I have paid a lot for assets and materials, of course I’d love to have those translated as closely as possible, otherwise the time UE might save me on animation rendering may be out the window again…

Is it good? They only write about UE 4.27 and 5.1. Does it work in 5.3?
They have no documentation , feature list or ANYTHING on the site. Could be a repackage of the old free github project for 40$. Have you run it?

I seriously can’t tell. I have directed several very clear questions to the author on Discord and have since then not received any replies. It’s 60 bucks now and he’s even asking to re-license for every project (if possible), yet I don’t get any info. Maybe he’s on vacation or so. For now, I don’t care, I’m n00bin’ around .
(I believe it’s a repackage, but works with the current Blender versions).

“Blender Datasmith” on Discord

I guess this thread is dead, and @UE_FlavienP leads to a big 404
@GrosseWeiteWelt ich habe im Moment nicht die Kohle, 60€ für ein Addon hinzulegen, aber es gibt eines, Details zu Shadern bekomme ich hoffentlich noch. Offensichtlich ist es nicht wichtig/erwünscht, evtl. auch, weil dann die tausenden Assets, für die ich bereits genug abgelegt habe, nicht nochmal im Marketplace gekauft werden müssten