Data tables friendly to network replication?

A simple questions what are the pros and cons of data tables when it comes to replicate a game for network server/client.
All the character movement, weapon drop/pickup etc will be implementing using data tables.

Hey there @Alexa.Ki! So Data Tables themselves are actually static, and won’t update during runtime. This usually makes me avoid them for anything that isn’t going to be set in stone large scale data. While there are some community plugins to circumvent this issue, all those plugins do is convert the Data tables to structs and arrays at runtime. So in many cases I’d recommend structs and arrays because they are easy to work with, can be changed at runtime, and replicate cleanly right out of the box.

1 Like

I am using structs declared in C++ and have a definition on Blueprint side, is that ok? or I need to define them in C++ by loading assets and storing them in the arrays?

Please correct me if I am not right about that DATA TABLES are the Definitions of Structs! ?

You’re not wrong, they are basically structs, but at the end of the day, if any data you’re going to be messing with is going to change, best to pop what you need in arrays to be able to manipulate the data and still get what you need replicated easily.

Some users discussed a system like it a bit here Is it possible to replicate a datatable?

1 Like

This thread actually is the answer of my question, Thank You very much Sir, really want to learn replicating the data tables… the post You shared will help me a lot :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad! I’d always wondered how everyone else does it myself, not too far from my solution but far more refined! Cheers!

1 Like