CryEngine Humble Bundle

Hey guys!

As you may have already seen, with an upgrade of CryEngine the Engine becomes free. Most of us will stick to UE4, because from my point of view it’s by far the better engine in a lot of aspects. But we can benefit from this liberation too.

Humble Bundle offers a bundle with about 20k Assets. Some packs include Maya files, some FBX, MAX, PSD or WAV files.

I think it’s worth to take a look.

What you should know before you’re spending money:

Just a quick reminder: the mocap animations can only be used with CryEngine :frowning:

Thanks, that’s a good point!

Thanks a lot! Bought it! totally worth 25$

There is a lot to download from the Asset Packs alone. Just tried to import some Assets into UE4 and Model and Textures work without any problem. Some of the Models are .MAX and .MB only (glad I got Maya and 3ds Max installed), so it would be wise to have those installed to export to FBX or OBJ for use in UE4.

I couldn’t find any license information except “Royality free” and “use commerically”.

Just to be sure: those of you who bought it, is there any license file included? I expected this stuff to be bound to use with Cryengine only.

Yea they include license files. You can see their content in my first and in @order66 Post.

License files are included and can be downloaded in the purchases of the pack.

It says: “When you lawfully acquire our Asset Packs (listed below) as part of this Humble Bundle you are granted a non­exclusive, non-­transferable, non-sublicensable, worldwide and perpetual limited license to use the acquired Assets for your commercial or non-commercial projects developed on any game engine and to use, license and exploit such projects developed on any game engine with the embedded Assets in any way and in all media…]”

man, thanks. never post before first coffee… :frowning:

No problem. :wink: That’s the reason why I’ve started this thread, for me it was a bit unclear what awaits me when buying these packs.

Will be interesting to compare performance on same scenes with same assets :slight_smile:

Some downloads are missing a license

I bought this pack for the Ryse Roman Pack and Animal Pack, and World Builder Pack, but those are missing a license, are from Crytek.

It is unclear what the situation is regarding those assets

The downloaded Crytek packages include a license, called “LIMITED LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR THE USE OF THE CRYENGINE”

This is a license which does not necessarily applies to a separate sold content package.

The license does not mention, that it prohibits the use of CryEngine Assets in other engines:

It mentions this

So what the **** does this mean?

This basically means that the included license sold at “Humble Bumble” does not apply, it is a license for the Cryengine, for the distribution of the CryEngine. But we bought Assets from the CryEngine, not obtained via the Cryengine distribution pipeline.

Now lets read this part from the Humble Page again

Because the included license (inside the downloaded CryEngine Assets from HB), is for the CE, the legal rights of these assets sold at HB are not defined. It would be nice if CryEngine or the Seller could clarify. The package sold in 6 figures, the chance is thus high that a game will be published (not made using CE) that facilitates CE Assets through this “sole discretion”.

Did you checked if the license file is inside the Ryse-zip-container? Haven’t downloaded it yet but thanks for your info.

There is a license called “LIMITED LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR THE USE OF THE CRYENGINE”, and this license is only effective it apepars when you:

But i never downloaded CryEngine, and i never accepted this agreement.

Ryse archives come with Crytek license. Question to native English speakers, are there any chances to use Ryse stuff in UE4? :slight_smile:

Btw. The included Birds, the Elephant and the one soldier character inside of these packs can not be opened in 3DSMAX, you probably need to open them inside of CryEngine.

**If you thought the packages from CryTek would be nice, you better skip, because of issues with the file format (*.CHR) and legal uncertainties. **

The Tree package comes with Maya file format.

That’s really disappointing, even if I’m not interested in these packs. Thanks again for pointing that out! I will quote it in my OP, so everybody will see it.

The included Audio Pack (with license attached) is pretty good.

Looks like bad news from Crytek

I want to buy this but I don’t want to use the cryengine

That tweet seems to contradict the included license:
“When you lawfully acquire our Asset Packs (listed below) as part of this Humble Bundle you are granted a non­exclusive, non-­transferable, non-sublicensable, worldwide and perpetual limited license to use the acquired Assets for your commercial or non-commercial projects developed on any game engine and to use, license and exploit such projects developed on any game engine with the embedded Assets in any way and in all media.”*