CryEngine becomes free

[=Stormwiz;494234]
Both Cryengine and Lumberyard will never get the audience expected simply because they are still thinking with old school mentality. Epic has the greatest engine not because is the highest fidelity (which could arguably be) or the strongest community support which it does, because of Blueprint. Until they get the head out of the clouds it would remain a black box for coders and artist will steer 180. Is simply kryptonite for artist and a pain the *** for coders.
[/]

with old school mentality
Can you at least explain why?

Not prefers blueprint and C#. The reason i and some other use Unreal and Cry is because they have C++ programming available. These softwares can help me and some other get experience in game programming to get a job in game industry. (I know Cryengine lacks documentation.) <– Kind of off-topic i know. Worth mentioning though.

Let’s stop bashing Crytek and other companies before civilised members leave this forum.
Thanks.

that editor sure does look nice but with the crossoperability these days, cant say its indispensable.

i am personally more excited by procedural level design - seen some guy developing automatic level creator with layout editor, with randomize feature and all that mess.

coupled with houdini engine which i think went free two days ago, its hard to beat the epic momentum.
btw - go get that houdini engine seriously.

[=PUNK;494249]
with old school mentality
Can you at least explain why?
[/]

You have to get with the times. This is a new chapter in game engines. Is about getting it done and empowering fellow artists that in the past had to live in the shadows of programmers and their voice when mute. The reason clickteam fusion, construct 2 and many more visual programming engines are still around is due to their simplicity. Simplicity is elegance. Unreal is super powerful and the easier it gets the more of that power you get to hardness. Cryengine is also powerful, but is like a nightmare to get any logic done. So the old school mentality is simply not knowing any better and still thinking is a programmers arena.
I see Unreal being use one day by Wetta and many Hollywood studios for pre-visualization or even taking it from concept to production. The magic happens when the engine allows you to explore all its power without scratching your head or writing a line of code.

[=KillingWord;494256]

that editor sure does look nice but with the crossoperability these days, cant say its indispensable.
i am personally more excited by procedural level design -
coupled with houdini engine which i think went free two days ago, its hard to beat the epic momentum.
btw - go get that houdini engine seriously.
[/]

I love procedural stuff too. It’s such cool tech sometimes!
Offtopic for a nudge but how quick is the cooking and update of Houdini assets in Unreal?
I watched the demo ofc. and can’t make up my mind on it.
Is it highly usable or just more of a gimmick for the moment?

[=Stormwiz;494257]
You have to get with the times. This is a new chapter in game engines. Is about getting it done and empowering fellow artists that in the past had to live in the shadows of programmers and their voice when mute. The reason clickteam fusion, construct 2 and many more visual programming engines are still around is due to their simplicity. Simplicity is elegance. Unreal is super powerful and the easier it gets the more of that power you get to hardness. Cryengine is also powerful, but is like a nightmare to get any logic done. So the old school mentality is simply not knowing any better and still thinking is a programmers arena.
I see Unreal being use one day by Wetta and many Hollywood studios for pre-visualization or even taking it from concept to production. The magic happens when the engine allows you to explore all its power with scratching your head or writing a line of code.
[/]

i like how you are thinking and feel exactly the same.
these engines and games by extension are more and more becoming an “artistic” medium.

todays example:

games will and should be authored by smaller and smaller teams and even individuals. that will results in a more uncompromising artistic vision and will open up the creative arena immensely. combined with vr i really feel euphoric about the future, and is the reason i personally picked up unreal.

imo it is a sort of liberation that came with the new wave in cinema where larger studios were dying out and auteurs saved movie as an artform.

[=Chesire;494260]
I love procedural stuff too. It’s such cool tech sometimes!
Offtopic for a nudge but how quick is the cooking and update of Houdini assets in Unreal?
I watched the demo ofc. and can’t make up my mind on it.
Is it highly usable or just more of a gimmick for the moment?
[/]

yet to dip my toes tbh as i am just few weeks into unreal. now its free i have no excuse:)

played with standalone houdini a bit, only for fluids are volumetric stuff tho. the curve is huge but sideffects too is working on a assets store (bit quiet over there) which practically excludes the need to do stuff from scratch.

from what i have seen, the workflow is seamless. fire in unreal acts like fire from houdini. no idea how the hell its cached or anything. looks like black magic to me.

Hi,
Thanks for the link. The art is very beautiful. The next logical step for this industry is to bridge the gap across many mediums. It looks like they got the vr, arch viz and game dev cover. Next stop, Hollywood. By shortening the learning curve or having easier access to the powerful tools we could start creating not just typical games, but interactive games. Games where it feels more like a movie and you’re in the driver’s seat making the decisions and changing the outcome of the story. Every time you play the game is like watching a movie, but with a different ending.

personally i think movie as a medium is obsolete and the system surrounding it toxic.
i would like to see gaming engines facilitate complete emancipation from all industries and spawn a completely new form of expression that exist in the wild. i think this is probable.

Well I just triad to log into the cryengine launcher and their server is down. It appears you have to be online in order to develop your game.

So we have
always online
training and answerhub hidden behind paywall (which may change once people start making videos)
No substance (painter/designer) support, something even lumberyard will be getting
A pipeline that sucks unless you have other “expensive” software tools (Maya 3ds max)
An EULA that is more complex than US tax law

All this and some of you still believe their is a competition going on?

[=KillingWord;494280]
personally i think movie as a medium is obsolete and the system surrounding it toxic.
i would like to see gaming engines facilitate complete emancipation from all industries and spawn a completely new form of expression that exist in the wild. i think this is probable.
[/]

Is certainly heading in that direction. Who would of thought just a while back to use game engines for arch viz. I would not waste my time learning a new engine where they can’t even market because is a black box at the end of the day. By the time they realize how wrong/backwards they were. Unreal would be in all the industries as the editor of choice for all things entertainment plus.

What are you talking about ? Of course there is comprtition going on. Jesus they just release cryengine V like 15 hours ago.
What they are offering is a fantastic game engine for free. Of course it’s not perfect, of course they have to fix more things like the pipeline or SpeedTree and Substance support.
You think back when UE4 started we had Speedtree and Substance support ? No matter which engine we are talking about Unity5, UE4 or Cryengine, every engine has his + and - aspects.
Just counting down some points that you don’t like or are missing after the release is 15 hours ago makes no sense.

Be open to other engines and be happy that they is competition, some people here sound like they are in a UE4 Cult, this is the engine the one and only, jesus.

Still haven’t fixed their pipeline?

How many years has it been?

I have no issue with competition, but the simply fact is crytek is not at the level of their competitors. As for cryengine 5 just being released, that makes very little difference when Crytek is still

1. Using some confusing EULA
  2. Refuse to fix their import pipeline
  3. Still poor support Look at the support UE and Unity give their customers “for free” compared to what Crytek.

No doubt all engines get things added as time goes by, problem is that Cryengine has been doing the same thing over and over again. As someone on this thread already discussed Crytek is taking way to long to change, their dev community has been shrinking for years and it appears Cryengine 5 is not going to refuse that trend

These are some nice improvements of CryEngine, but I don’t believe in their business model and their community is nearly non-existent. As a dev I don’t dare to invest myself into this, thinking they’ll go bankrupt any second now.

Yes they are differences, UE4 has a big community, they have a really big support, in my opinion the best support of all engines.
Crytek made a lot of mistakes, i think the indie engine business was even not so important for them. When it comes to support from Epic there is no competition, i’m 100% with you.
But when talking about technology, like i wrote before Cryengine has more “next gen” features than any other engine, Volumetric light, Volumetric Fog, Volumetric Clouds,Full Dynmic Light / GI, extrem good looking shaders etc…
Of course not every one needs this features, thats why i wrote every engine has his + and -. So and imgaine they add a new pipeline some support for Substance and other applications and on top you pay nothing, there are no roys. This is not just competition this is almost madness to offer such a engine for 0% roys. And becasue of this and the full source code, i believe they’re community will start to grow. But we will see… what happend next, i’m very curious.

What good are the cryengine features when you consider

1. Poor support unless you pay $50- a month
  2. A pipeline that requires you to have expensive software (case in point below)
  3. An EULA that pretty much allows them to stop almost nay game you produce
  4. No community to get help or support

(CASE in point from 2 above)
I was talking to a cryengine user and asked if they thought Cry5 would get substance support like lumberyard. They said Cry already had substance support. Shocked at this answer I asked if he had more info; his reply:
Well you make you substance in painter or designer than export the maps to Photoshop then take them to cryengine
In other words no substance support.
Now before you say, well that could be coming. I will point out that Cry has had the same crappy pipeline for years and have refused to change it.

Cryengine is all but dead, the only reason they are making these changes now is because they killed their steam community. The engine needs some major improvements that the company clearly does not want to make. Maybe if management would decide to enter the competition instead of milking their customers Epic and Unity might have something to worry about

You are starting again with non sense, sorry, all this issues are known… Thats why the are changing. They just started they’re new service not even 24 hours ago. So relax and observe what will happen in the next weeks and months. Every EULA is complicated, no matter if we are talking about Cryengine, UE4 or Unity but this point is not inetresting at all if you know the fact that you can release your game on PC, PS4 and Xbox One for 0 Roys and fees, so this is what matters at least for me.
You have games like Evolve, Kingdom Come or Star Citizen, everybody gone to the rapture etc… amazing looking games even made with the “old” cryengine. Just wait and see how many devs will change…
The Cryengine is like UE4 one of the Top engines avaiable on the market… It sounds more like you have personal hate against the engine, you have to see this noncommitted.

I started on cryengine. The terrain system was back then pretty amazing. Something I havnt noticed people talk about yet is the ease of use of the terrain system in cryengine. Roads and rivers are soooooo easy in cryengine. As for water well UE4 just cannot touch cryengine. But I’m not a programmer so for me blueprint is a no brainer.

Crytek is changing because they killed their community yet again (translation they milked the indies for all they had yet again)

1. Cryengine 3 they killed their community and burned a lot of indie developers
    They went to steam and promised to change - yet again they killed their own community
    Now they are going back to step one and again repeating we have changed. Of course they keep the same crappy pipeline and EULA

2. How much did Star citizen get from kickstarter, 65-75 million? The game is not even fully released yet but when you talking that kind of money it better look good

3. If you think the Cryengine EULA is like UE4 or Unity you clearly have not read it. It is filled with, well if you do “this” we can stop you double talk without ever really saying what “this” is. Think I am wrong, then please explain to me how it is possible crytek can not even explain their own EULA. You read that correctly Crytek can not even explain their own EULA, that is how complex it is. Head over to the steam forums and look at the discussion back when Cry released on there

4. Zero percent royalties? that’s except when you consider how much more you have to pay for Photoshop, Maya 3dmax, support and other tools to make your game. The 5% Epic wants is chicken feed compared to paying for all that

5. So if you want to ignore the companies history that is fine, but please spare me the “calm down” bs. No one is excited or going over the line, I am simply stating the facts that anyone can easily look up

The only thing Cryengine creates is dead communities, burned indie developers. Go find me a list of indie games made on cry engine 3; it has been on steam for awhile now

Thats what i mean, people have to see for they’re self if it is usable for they’re project, skills or not.
I just don’t like if people try to talk software bad, just because cause it didn’t fit their needs or they’re expecations on support.

Jesus i don’t care about the eula aslong i don’t have to pay anything and can release my game.
I think everybody understood and saw what crytek did with their old engine and memebrs, where is your point ??? What does it have to do with Cryengine 5 ???
And again they just released Cryengine 5, just wait and obsereve what will happen to the pipeline.

These are no facts, what you are writing is mostly past history and makes no sense to me like your eula point. It is a free up to date engine with a lots of cool and inovating features.
You don’t have to use it, no one is forcing you but stop pointing out just the bad and mostly outdated facts. I really think your problem with Cryengine is a personal problem, did they tread you bad in the forums or what happend ? They have a lot of AAA releases and also indie releases of course not that much like UE4 because of the old and dead community and lack of tutorilas but this is not the point here, we are talking about the engine and the new start of they’re service.