CryEngine becomes free

[=Galeon;494144]
Now we need Epic to give us C#.
[/]

This. UE4 desperately needs official C# support. There should always be a clear distinction between engine programming and gameplay programming. And the rendering part should really use encapsulation better. Just look at unity’s one. Custom shader is a pain in UE4 period.

The asset pipeline for CryEngine is nothing short of a disaster when compared to Unreal.
It actually is the single thing that made me switch.

That said, in terms of advanced lighting and shading features, CryEngine has always been very good.
Pixel Perfect displacement, very nice water, SVOGI in development and all gems Adik already mentions.
They even used to have a voxel painter. Buggy as hell but when it worked it was pretty cool :slight_smile:

Anyways, good for them they are looking for new ways. I wish them all the best!

CryEngine V? Wow, these guys are not giving up. I have to admire that.
I wonder what they will bring to the game development party!!!

For the pipeline you are right, importing textures is a nightmare… Getting your meshes into cryengine is actually really nice if you have maya or max. One click and your mesh is imported… i would love to have this option for UE4.
Of course all the people not using or Maya are scr… and this is something they have to change casue just a very few people “not talking about pro studios” have the money to afford or maya.

Finally the penny dropped for the folks at crytek But there community of devs were not around anymore to even hear it.
I started out with that engine 2 years ago when it was free, and while I was making slow progress i was dumbfounded at the lack of Not being able to export/import FBX format drirectly to engine and there total lack of Vision in supporting VR while the community was asking for basic support and seeing UNITY & UE4 adopt it out of the gate.
Then CRYENGINE went subscription only too.
Like many others I abandon it and jumped to UE4 As soon as my DK2 arrived ,and wont be returning to relearn what Ive already forgotten about cryengine in-favour of the UE4 Pipeline and ease of use.

Yeah they really only have themselves to blame for there situation as they have just made a series of bad decisions over the last few years.

wasnt crytek bought out by amazon though?
would that mean they have two engines in the wild now?

so happy with unreal. my new and only BFF.

No amazon bought or let’s better say licensed cryteks technology for 70 mullion USD.
Yes they did a lot and i mean a lot of mistakes in the past, massive mistakes… But if they keep they’re new cours the will become very quicly very interessting for a lot of devs.
They have very good technology in they’re engine and you can use it for free, this will attract a lot of people.

[=KillingWord;494189]
wasnt crytek bought out by amazon though?
would that mean they have two engines in the wild now?

[/]

Amazon paid Crytek for a custom CryEngine license called ‘Lumberjack’ (Ahahahahaha…really that name…who the hell came up with that? ;))
One could consider this a ‘emergency bailout’ cause I doubt without it we’d see all these fancypants thingies happening over at Crytek right now.

[=Adik;494184]
For the pipeline you are right, importing textures is a nightmare… Getting your meshes into cryengine is actually really nice if you have maya or max. One click and your mesh is imported… i would love to have this option for UE4.
Of course all the people not using or Maya are scr… and this is something they have to change casue just a very few people “not talking about pro studios” have the money to afford or maya.
[/]

Yeah the updates from within are kinda nice if you are working on a game with pretty hardcore assets in terms of geometry that’s clean and proper.
If however, you work with 3th-party stuff that’s often dirty and in need of cleanup, I find UE4 way more forgiving.
Often I found myself unable to get through the ‘depricated faces’ wall of the exporter.
Totally see why that’s very handy for making a game but for rapid stuff it can really bite.

“lumberyard” but i guess that would make the userbase the “lumberjacks”;).
thats marketing dudes for you: "so doing games is like a workshop, right, what is good synonym? what sounds manly? oh i know!.

i dont fault the names though. unreal sounds a bit silly too.
however it seems to me that these engines are being thrown at unreal left at right while it is comfortably eating grapes at the throne.

just imagine, autodesk has an “also ran” engine they are asking 30$ monthly for. now that is some funny ish.

Ah yes my bad…well, got half the word right :cool: I find ‘Unreal’ to be at least a bit catchy. That matters right?
‘Lumberyard’ to me comes across like they weren’t even serious when setting things up. It almost feels like a hint
to those suspecting it was just a financial bailout and they needed something for the books to make it work.
Probably reading way too much into this though!

UE4 and Cryengine are my engines to go… Lumberyard i don’t know, for me it will always be a Cryengine knock off. They spend 70 millions for the license, but like 50 USD for the whole brand and the webite.
But like many here wrote before, competition is always good.

yeh, it comes off bit lame i have to admit.

so is lumberyard basically the same as crytek? ui looks pretty much identical.

[=KillingWord;494213]

so is lumberyard basically the same as crytek? ui looks pretty much identical.
[/]

It’s a modified version of some kind of past-tense CryEngine version.
You can freely translate that into ‘Outdated and worse’.

Lumberyard is a modified version of Cryengine 3.8.1, Amazon just reorganized, added and deleted a few things but they have nothing to do with crytek.

thanks guys. sounds entirely pointless but i suppose amazon has money to burn.
wondering what any of these engines have to offer that unreal does not.
not that i´d switch. apart from the tech i am amazed with the community epic cultivates.

Both Cryengine and Lumberyard will never get the audience expected simply because they are still thinking with old school mentality. Epic has the greatest engine not because is the highest fidelity (which could arguably be) or the strongest community support which it does, because of Blueprint. Until they get the head out of the clouds it would remain a black box for coders and artist will steer 180. Is simply kryptonite for artist and a pain the *** for coders.

waiting for UE4’s March.17 :slight_smile:

[=Stormwiz;494234]
Both Cryengine and Lumberyard will never get the audience expected simply because they are still thinking with old school mentality. Epic has the greatest engine not because is the highest fidelity (which could arguably be) or the strongest community support which it does, because of Blueprint. Until they get the head out of the clouds it would remain a black box for coders and artist will steer 180. Is simply kryptonite for artist and a pain the *** for coders.
[/]

Yeah but that’s exactly why it’s a pity they struggle so much staying even marginally above the radar.
I don’t have particular high hopes for the future of CryEngine either but every so now and then I throw quite the envious look at the stuff it can (and already could years ago) do where UE4 -hopefully- will catch up one day.

Also with all the money Amazon has you would think they wanna make the dev site at least half decent. That thing looks like an anemic version of 's list. They got some growing pains if they want to hang with the big dogs.

Why is it so hard for both LY & Cry to figure out what’s really lacking with their engine. I see plugins developers for Unity that have a shoe string for a budget and yet they are able to whip up beautiful tools like Behavior Designer, Playmaker, Shader Forge to name a few. Why is so confusing for these companies to realized what they must do. With all that money and latent. Is like the quails that thinks is smarter than the average bird and yet it sleeps on the ground awaiting a snake.