CryEngine becomes free

Please do not get me wrong

Cryengine itself could be great. My issues with it relate to management putting barriers (restrictions) on it, not with the software itself.

Cryegnine is great like UE4, bouth have they’re + and - and devs have to decide which one fits they’re needs, they can choose between good engines isn’t that great ?
I also don’t like restrictions but every sofware has his own restrictions so you have to see if this restrictions can touch your project or needs if yes than you can go one but that doesn’t mean that every one will have a problem with it.

He who doesn’t love Blueprints does not love his mom.
::
Just kidding.

“Ee Ojo Del Amo Engorda El Caballo” meaning “The eye of the master fattens his horse”.
The reason Unreal is polished beyond the competition because here the entire team is committed to excellence and listens to the community with both ears. I remembered back in the days when Rhino was gaining traction in version 1. It was due to listening to the communities request and finding solutions. I don’t see LY or Cry ever gaining wind because they don’t listen to developers. Amazon might change things around, but they are not fully invested as Epic is, so it will probably fizzle out as well.

Crytek finally realized that it makes no use paid nothing worth a limited product and competitors being complete and totally free!
Just now Epic enable C# Mono in the UE4.

[=kassane;494408]
Crytek finally realized that it makes no use paid nothing worth a limited product and competitors being complete and totally free!
Just now Epic enable C# Mono in the UE4.
[/]

Precisely, a high level language with the latest and greatest mono features is a biiiig plus. :smiley:

People who think Unity has a great asset system have not tried making shaders for it. Everything, even simple things, must be done in code, or you must use the preset shaders given to you. There is no material editor like Unreal Engine. If you want to make a water shader, it’s easy in UE4: just plug in some normals, do whatever you want to do, and you get to see the results right away. In Unity, it’s all coded. So while you can do some things in Unity if you know how to code (like that water-caustics WebGL demo), but otherwise you’ll never be able to simply make a game, or make something interesting without that ability. You NEED to know C# and Cg. From what I heard about Crytek at my school, it’s a very specific engine to making things like water and island stuff, so it makes water and island stuff really well. But try to make an indoor environment, and it gets a little bit awkward. UDK used to be FPS-focused, but now it’s much more malleable, which is .

To put it simply, the tools I made on the Marketplace in UE4 would not have been possible had I been required to sit there and code this program in C# and Cg. It was a massive blob of spaghetti code that allowed users to toggle options on and off, there is no way it would have been acceptable to use anything else.

[=Adik;494149]
Thats absolutly right competition is always good… Beside of the terrible pipelone, i think somem people here don’t understand what they get. I’m still waiting for these “next gen” features coming to UE4.

1. Volumetric Light and Fog

2. Volumetric Clouds

3. Fully dynamic light and GI with acceptable FPS

4. Directx 12

@ Nawrot, i see it the same way.
    [/]

5. amazing embedded water

6. day-night and weather system

7. top quality skin shader

8. road tool

9. vegetation

KE is not just engine, it’s a set of tools. That’s why asset pipeline is so complex. It is just different, I don’t understand how one can compare KE with UE4.

[=KillingWord;494266]
yet to dip my toes tbh as i am just few weeks into unreal. now its free i have no excuse:)

played with standalone houdini a bit, only for fluids are volumetric stuff tho. the curve is huge but sideffects too is working on a assets store (bit quiet over there) which practically excludes the need to do stuff from scratch.

from what i have seen, the workflow is seamless. fire in unreal acts like fire from houdini. no idea how the hell its cached or anything. looks like black magic to me.
[/]

That sounds amazing, any for a video or at least a screenshot of that?

[=OCASM;494452]
That sounds amazing, any for a video or at least a screenshot of that?
[/]

This seems like a good start: Steven Burrichter’s Videos on Vimeo

[=Galeon;494144]
Now we need Epic to give us C#.
[/]

Yes indeed

Sigh…another cool *** engine to learn

[=JaanDoe;494514]
Sigh…another cool *** engine to learn
[/]

IMHO; after some tries & cries (cry is everywherem you see =) with Amazon’s LY (based on CRYENGINE ~3.8, maybe), i don’ wanna touch it, not to learn it… ; )

[=Chesire;494476]
[/]

Oh, that’s pretty good, thanks.

[=Chesire;494476]
[/]

nice set of links. thanks.
seems though that he exported pyrofx as a series of 2d images.

here is the link i had in mind. this fire looks legit.

[=KillingWord;494565]
here is the link i had in mind. this fire looks legit.
[/]

Nice! The pro stuff for sure.
‘In Houdini this is very simple’ x 20 during the vid. Yeah…I guess? Doesn’t look simple to me at all :smiley: It’s supercool to be able to do things like custom flow maps, smoke behaving exactly like you want to etc. etc. but overall I just get this vibe this is very much a hardcore tool for designated individuals on bigger teams or for people willing to go through the steps to master yet another vital app for their ever increasing suit of dcc apps.
Glad it’s available though. I bet some people can achieve very innovative content with this.

Raging fanboys still going hard at it. It would be sad if some of you were adults…

So out of interest, and being a lapsed EAAS subscriber, I tried to have a go at this today.

Except I couldn’t, because their registration server is completely broken. I contacted Cryengine support, asking how I could rectify access to my account, and they responded saying that the issues were ‘fixed’, but they could not reinstate my account, basically permanently preventing me from using my current email address for my account. Great. So I went and created a brand new email address so that I could register a new account, as the Cryengine support dude suggested… except the registration process still failed, and locked me out of that account, too. And again, a third time.

If these guys can’t fix a simple webserver, I’m not holding out much hope that this engine is going to be anything other than hot garbage.

[=Beaucephal;494628]
So out of interest, and being a lapsed EAAS subscriber, I tried to have a go at this today.

Except I couldn’t, because their registration server is completely broken. I contacted Cryengine support, asking how I could rectify access to my account, and they responded saying that the issues were ‘fixed’, but they could not reinstate my account, basically permanently preventing me from using my current email address for my account. Great. So I went and created a brand new email address so that I could register a new account, as the Cryengine support dude suggested… except the registration process still failed, and locked me out of that account, too. And again, a third time.

If these guys can’t fix a simple webserver, I’m not holding out much hope that this engine is going to be anything other than hot garbage.
[/]

Those things happened here too. That’s what you get when they don’t scale dynamically.

[=Errvald;494631]
Those things happened here too. That’s what you get when they don’t scale dynamically.
[/]

Strange, I’ve been registered for UE4 pretty-much since day 1, even back in the subscription days, and I don’t remember anything like that happening. Must have passed me by. I’ve asked if I can have my accounts removed from their databases in the meantime. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to re-register when they’ve got their act together.