Critical: High Ping and Lag With Maps That Have Larger Areas To Play In

Please select what you are reporting on:

Unreal Editor for Fortnite

What Type of Bug are you experiencing?

Stability

Summary

Right after 29.20 was released we have much higher ping and a lot of lag in our larger map games. We did some troubleshooting to see if it was something we could prevent but removing certain props, removing all verse, minimizing areas to go to but the only thing that helped the lag and high ping was removing props and landscape that wasn’t in the immediate area. To experience this directly, load into Forever Zone Wars (Solos 5473-5965-0108, Duos 8332-4354-7379 or Trios 8033-8974-0978) which have multiple islands that are played on and see a high ping no matter the region played on. This is in contrast to Forever Box Fights 7839-0559-0614 which has a much smaller play area but is just as intense of a game both in mechanics and player playing.

Steps to Reproduce

Create a map with a large landscape or multiple landscapes over a large area, add an appropriate amount of props, this alone should create the high ping and lag as we removed all verse code and still experienced the problem. It seems to be irrelevant if world streaming is on or off.

Expected Result

Same ping and lag that was present before 29.20, which was minimal.

Observed Result

Much higher ping, regularly 0 to 10 and now 30 to 40 or more.

Platform(s)

PC

FORT-731179 incident has been created. Status is ‘Needs Triage’.

2 Likes

Maps are unplayable. Fix soon!!

I’ve been getting a ton of reports of this on our games as well. Players are finding it very difficult to play any fast paced games

1 Like

Same here! Our player are experiencing lag and “teleporting” from enemy players

We have this too (Server pack under 30 when players pass 14 in a server, then lose 1 pack per player that joins)

1 Like

I been getting many player reports about this too.

1 Like

We have been experiencing this on our maps as well.

I’m not happy with Fortnite after the recent updates. Ping was normally high in Turkey, but after the updates it started to vary between 60-90 ms. There is packet loss in the evenings. FPS is much higher than before. Even if I reduce the graphics quality, it cannot be played stably.

Also running into this issue on our larger-scale island. Runs perfectly smooth in the edit session but ping increases massively when in private and published code.

1 Like

So have anyone found a fix for this? We updated one of our map yesterday. Had zero lag on the public test and then as soon as we went live with the update and had some trending positions we notice this giant lag spikes, high ping, and the “Rubberband” feeling like the bug we had with ch5 movement, right, left and back all laggy, but this is the thing, on some servers we had no problem at all with full of players and some with just a several player there was this giant lag again. Guess what happens, woke up to 0 players on the map once again. It is not playable and this is on all our maps. Feel free to check the map out to see for your self. 4727-2045-4060

There is no fix, this is a problem on Epic’s side and they haven’t even once acknowledged there is even a problem anywhere, let alone that they are working on it. The only response so far has been to blame the user that their computer or network is the problem. So, I wouldn’t expect a fix for the foreseeable future.

Can confirm we have also noticed the same problems ever since the latest Fortnite update, TPS in UEFN session is perfectly normal, but on published island it is much lower than usual values pre-29.20 without any changes on our part; We also have a pretty big island, so your suspicions seem to be on point. No response or acknowledgement from Epic either, completely ruined our player experience and made our map pretty much unplayable which resulted in a harsh drop in CCU and playtime.

I have also had reports from players regarding this lag problem on my BANKCITY map (8352-7392-6528) since the last Fortnite update.
It’s also a very large map with a lot of props

Sorry, I had replied in another similar thread. We have people checking on this. I’ll link the other thread here.

2 Likes

Glad to hear this is being investigated; its heavily impacting several of my islands and causing player counts to drop drastically

This issue has certainly appeared to be getting worse… especially with the introduction of Chapter 5 movement! I’ve also noticed the effect amplified in the Pre-Game phase. Best wishes towards those working on the issue! We are all looking forward to resolution on this one! :innocent:

Not fixed in v29.30. Still a major issue affecting maps

As of 29.30 this is not resolved at all, is there any timeline for this?

Erm what the sigma? This needs to be fixed. Still an issue with new update!