Create cheap glass compatible with nanite

Hi. I want to create a glass material but it should be compatible with nanite. I don’t need a realistic glass, simple illusion will be enough for me. the only thing I found is that example:

but when I’m trying to re-create it by myself, I’m getting awful result:

My material (I deleted nodes with custom texture because I don’t have one):

I thought material should capture things around and show it to camera, but seems like that material doesn’t work that way. Can you help me?

It could be that you are missing reflection captures in your scene, which cause the result to not look as good. In the Place Actors panel you can find actors which has to do with reflections. Drag them out into the scene and build reflection, which hopefully helps you get a better reflection on your meshes.

I’m using lumen reflections, so I suppose I don’t need reflection captures in scene. Oh, and I’ve disabled static lightning so I can’t use “build reflection captures” option.

I’m the person who authored the example material you found. You need a scene capture cube for the fake transparency to work.

You don’t necessarily need it for the reflections if you are using Lumen reflections. The transparent look is achieved by sampling an environment texture of the scene. It looks bad because you just have a default skybox cubemap.

This cubemap texture can update in real time, but it can be expensive, so it’s best to only capture the updated reflection occasionally, or save it as a texture and leave it static.

There isn’t a way to sample the reflection probes in a material without modifying the engine.

Do you mind sharing the original post/video?

There isn’t much more to the original post that is taken from. But here it is:

1 Like