Crashing when applying basic material to a wall

I have just started trying to learn UE4 again, I download 4.10 and started following the video tutorial 4 - Applying Materials to Geometry (v4.7) Intro to Level Creation: Applying Materials to Geometry | 04 | v4.7 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube . After the point where he says to use Shift+W to select all adjacent walls (1:15) I noticed mine did not select all of them, it only selected the top half of the structure so I started filling the rest in manually. I did this while piloting the light it has us spawn in, and while filling some of them in with materials via drag/drop it will crash. Sometimes I can do a few of them before it crashes and I have been trying different things to see what may be causing it. If I am piloting a light and my view is very close to a blank wall with nothing more than the default grey grid on it while applying material it will crash (at first I thought it was the Basic_Wall I was using, but it happened with the wood one also, and the very first basic material you have in the starter content). If I move the light real close to the wall and place my view behind the light while still viewing the wall closely then I apply a material to it, then does not seem to crash that way strangely. If I pilot the light but place the materials from a far distance and the walls have little lighting on them it seems to be okay too. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

(edit: also, I never turned off the lit mode like he did in the tutorial, I have left mine on)

MachineId:2603D84141664927527FA2A3ADA9CCF3
EpicAccountId:32a516431ce34c7a90f9f726df5fd244

Windows 10 Home edition
i7-4790k 4.00ghz, 4 cores
GTX 970
Asus sabertooth mark II motherboard
16g corsair ram (sorry, I do not remember the speed but will find out if necessary.)

Welcome back! What is the specific error?

Hi McPhearson -

I believe we have a fix for the issue you are experiencing currently going into 4.11, but I cannot be certain as I am unable to find your submitted crash report. Can you make sure that you have entered the correct Machine ID above from the Computer which experienced the crash and that you submitted the report with the Submit and Restart OR Submit and Close button.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Thanks for the response. I just made it crash again, resuming from the most recent save prior to the crashing. My description provided in the reporter is ‘crash during piloting light and placing materials on walls’. I have selected “Send and Close” and here is the numbers it provided, looks like it’s the same numbers as I pasted before:

MachineId:2603D84141664927527FA2A3ADA9CCF3
EpicAccountId:32a516431ce34c7a90f9f726df5fd244

Hopefully you can find that one, if not just let me know what else I can provide that may help. Thank you.

Hi McPhearson -

For some reason your crash is not coming up in our system, Can you take a look at this wiki and upload the Crash logs for your project as a zip file here.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience -

Eric Ketchum

Maybe this has something to do with my reports not going through, but when I go into the WER folder there is no reports folder, only a folder called ERC and it is empty. Would this have anything to do with me installing Unreal on another drive other than C:?

It should not matter as the crash reporter folder is created on C drive in the App Data location that windows installs. It sounds like that the engine is crashing but something in windows might also be crashing at the same time. Try going to this wiki and look for a Windows Event log for the time of the crash:

A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

There are no application errors that occurred on the day I posted this or even when I just went in to recreate the crash again. I don’t know if this will be useful but here is a screenshot of my crash reporter. Is there anything I could do from here that could find more info? I clicked the view directory link but saw no recent or updated files in there so I’m assuming there are no logs being saved in there either? At this point I’m just considering moving on with my life and hope it never occurs again, I am just concerned that at some point it’s going to cause me grief when I am dealing with things more complicated.

Hi McPhearson -

I believe that this particular crash has been fixed in 4.11. I really wanted to find your logs to confirm that this was the case, but I also don’t want to take time away from your development process. Feel free, if you are able to work to do so and if this crash reoccurs in 4.11 reopen this question.

Thank you for your help -

Eric Ketchum