Cooking / packaging Project Freezes

Hey Spazchicken,

Just wanted to check in with you and see if any progress has been made with testing this issue. Please be sure to let me know when you get the .

Thanks!

Hi spazchicken,

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance. Responding to this post will reopen this thread.

Thanks and have a great day!

I have been experiencing a similar (the same?) problem. It appears to be related to the UI handling of Windows messages exacerbated by an underpowered machine.
One of my dev machines does not have great specs (dual core 2.7Ghz, 4GB RAM, 7200 RPM disk, Windows 8.1). If I initiate a packaging operation (Windows/Linux are my target platforms) it will proceed fine until making another window the foreground. For example, I begin the build/packaging, then ALT-Tab to Firefox (or any other window). Upon returning to the UE Editor, the Outpul Log produced no new output and the “Packaging project for [Linux/Windows]…” in-progress indicator (the three dots) stops animating. The Windows Task Manger shows the Unreal Editor instance as “Not Responding” but, the (2 on my machine) instances of cl.exe (Windows) or the compiler for Linux (I don’t remember the name at the moment) do continue to start and finish with consistent changes in CPU usage and disk activity.
Full disclosure, I have not let it spend the time to see if it will finish in spite of the UI issues. It will complete on this machine if I just don’t touch it (at all) once the packaging process has started.
I have not whitnessed this issue in my Mac Book Pro. It’s superior specs (4-core, 8 GB RAM (out of 16), SSD, Windows 8.1 on Parallels VM) lead me to believe it is an issue with resource starvation. I have tested it using the same project cloned from my repo.

Update: the frozen UI also occurs if I click too much within the Output Log. Also, using the command console can cause it.

Howdy Nx’,

Sorry for the lack of responses and thank you for your update on this post. After reading the information that you have provided, It seems that this error is only occurring for under-powered windows 8.1 machines. It seems that this may be a Windows error and not a UE4 error. Would there be a step by step way that I may be able to test this issue internally? I have attempted a repro on a 8.1 machine that we have and have not been able to see the error.

Thanks!

Hello spazchicken,

I’m having the same issue and i tried multiple thing but cannot fix the problem. Did you find a solution ? i tried unchecking Unreal on firewall but noting still get stuck i’m i doing it wrong ? please help

Hey

If you are unable to resolve the issue you’re running in to, please submit a new AnswerHub thread for additional assistance. Make sure you include specific details of what you were doing with your project, and include .

Thanks!