Convert foliage to static meshes

Hi,

I’m looking for a way to convert my drawn foliage meshes to separate static meshes. So I can use the foliage system to initially draw meshes, but afterwards can address separately.

Is there an easy way to do this? Or should I be looking at a Blueprint/C++ script to parse all actors in the foliage and replace them with their static mesh on the same position?

Hi,

There is no option to do this in the engine currently. If this is a feature you need the latter options your suggested would be a better solution.

Thank you!

Tim

hi, i have the same need currently. did you get this working? i have no clue how to parse all actors and replace them.
thx
sascha

Actually this was recently added to our internal build of what will eventually be 4.9.

I just tested this to confirm, so if you use the latest promoted branch from GitHub you can test this out if you need, otherwise it’ll be included with the release of 4.9.

Thanks Tim! For me it can wait until 4.9.

thx tim, these are good news! i’ll ask our programmer to look into it!

I’ve gone ahead and found the commit on GitHub for this CL-2568627

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/commit/5510995a66cd25e41b372b864d9ee1912258bee3

Did this get lost? 4.10 now and I can’t seem to figure out how to accomplish this.

@Vaelek

You can click on the Foliage in your level, then go to File > Export selected or something to that effect and choose then in the window that opens you can use the filetype drop-down to select FBX if it’s not by default.

I would be a little bit more specific, but I don’t have the editor opened in front of me right now.

Oh I see. I was hoping for an in-place conversion similar to making BSP a mesh. Exporting the whole lot removes the ability to individually adjust and interact with the foliage so that’s no good. My hope was to be able to paint in the vegetation, transpose it all for individual static meshes, and then in groups turn it back into instanced using Rama’s editor plugin. From there I can turn them back into static as needed from BP to interact (eg pick, cut down…)

Thought it’s not what I’m looking for, your method also does not work. When any foliage is selected, be it one or many, “Export Selected” is disabled and only “Export All” is an option.

Thank you, worked like a charm!

I’m 5 years late to the party here, as I was looking for a solution too. Turns out there is a way to do it pretty easy using the instance tool on the market place. You select the foliage, convert that into instances, then you can from there convert the instances into static meshes.

Hi, I can help you with it, contact me please: https://www.linkedin.com/in/arthurgnoinskiy/

@Toploaded Do you remember how you converted the foliage into instances? I am trying to convert a bunch of painted foliage into static meshes

1 Like