Contribution to Unreal Engine Documentation

What’s the current way to help contributing to unreal engine documentation?

I’ve found this thread but it’s unclear whether feedback is acknowledged or even taken into account.

It’s unterstandable that developers might be swamped and unable to address all user feedback promptly. However, the documentation serves as a primary reference for Unreal Engine, making it crucial to maintain its relevance.

To streamline contributions, it might be beneficial to:

• Allow edits in a wiki-style format, enabling real-time updates and corrections.
  • Host the documentation on GitHub, where contributors can submit Pull Requests with their suggested changes.

Such approaches not only structure the contribution process but also enhance collaboration. They save time for developers, offer transparency for contributors, and even pave the way for community-led reviews. This way, potential modifications can be vetted by peers before developers give the final nod.

Related.

+1 for the suggestion of hosting documentation on github. PyTorch currently does this, and it seems to be working well:

pytorch/docs at main · pytorch/pytorch (github.com)

(Note: this is the first Google result for “How do I contribute to Unreal Engine documentation” :stuck_out_tongue: )

+1 To This.

I just spent 2 days trying to get the instructions on Configuration Files in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation to work,
and had to find out that inheriting from UObject does not work, but you have to use UDeveloperSettings.

Only found that by looking at the engine source code.

Be nice to have a way to give this feedback to Epic on this page.

+1 to this as well!

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make own Automation script but working from the project directory not the engine directory:

After scrapping the dark depths of source code I found out that to make this work for the project you just need to add -ScriptsForProject= argument to the RunUAT. The argument which is not mentioned basically anywhere.

I know this is something niche to do, so it’d be even better option to allow crazy developers who pick up such little nuances to add pull requests to the documentation somehow :slight_smile:

+1 from me!