Constantly streaming textures

I’ve been working on a scene for a couple of days, and after the first couple of hours, all of the necessary assets were placed in the level, and no material or texture changes have taken place. I’m onto a detail pass, and all of a sudden, I’m seeing “Streaming Textures” constantly - it hangs around 460 or so, decrementing or incrementing a little based on where I am looking.

Even stranger, the camera can be completely stationary and my materials are going absolutely nuts - cycling through normal resolution mips to ultra-low resolution mip maps. This behavior continues even on low settings with low quality textures enabled. I’m still pulling 120fps on my GTX 970, so I don’t think I’m saturating my VRAM.

I can disable texture streaming, which resolves the issue, but I lose ~19% FPS in doing so.

Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening?

Hi Havoc -

Could you possible upload a copy of your project log file, available in the Saved Folder of your Project? To begin you may want to look at your materials and see if you are referencing camera position, world position, actor or object position for any effects? Also on the whole what are your textures set as for mip and streaming settings which can be found in the Texture Editor.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum

Hi Havoc -

We have not heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you are still experiencing the issue you reported, please respond to this message with additional information and we will offer further assistance.

Thank you.

Eric Ketchum

Hi checkout: Textures constantly streaming, will moving project to SSD help? - Rendering - Epic Developer Community Forums

I and many others are experiencing this same issue. Heres a link to my answers page in unreal… and it also contains a link that goes through the steps we went to troubleshoot on the forums. Read through that… we found no answer… its clearly a major bug or flaw in the engine where textures are being switched to forced streaming when they are not forced on import settings… not to mention textures that are a mile away that are like 5 pixels large are streamed in at full resolutions of 2048 or half … it makes no sense… textures are even streamed in through walls in different rooms.

So, I know this is marked as resolved, but I just had this issue myself and just resolved it.

So try using the “stat streaming” command and see if the “Pool Memory Used” is exceeding the “Pool Memory Size”. Mine was so I used the “r.streaming.poolsize” command to up mine to 6000 and it worked to get rid of the streaming issue. It looks like by default it was not using up anywhere near the amount of memory I have to throw at it.

Hope this helps you or others looking for answers.

Hey man, thanks for this. Totally worked and helped my team here at the end of development. Not sure why the heck UE4 would only use 700MB of RAM by default, my PC has 32GB…

It worked for me too. A had this problem after my cat run trough my keyboard, when i was using UE4 -_-, im serious…