Textures constantly streaming, will moving project to SSD help?

Hi,

Every time I try to use the editor, it says streaming textures and it looks really ugly:

http://i.imgur.com/BeVG0Wyl.jpg

Is it because my HDD is too slow?

I also have a samsung SSD 850 EVO 250Gb where my OS is but I’m worried that unreal engine will write too much on it thus damage it. What d you think?

A SSD could help but keep in mind that the Kite Demo requires a very high end PC to run. So even if you get an SSD there could be other areas of your PC, like RAM, CPU or GPU that are not up to the task. Also each time I open up the Kite Demo I have the same streaming issues till everything loads in. Once that happens then things start to look better.

A SSD could help but keep in mind that the Kite Demo requires a very high end PC to run. So even if you get an SSD there could be other areas of your PC, like RAM, CPU or GPU that are not up to the task. Also each time I open up the Kite Demo I have the same streaming issues till everything loads in. Once that happens then things start to look better.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have an i5 4590 + GTX 970 + 16 Gb of RAM. The “everything loads in” doesn’t seem to happen any time soon for me :(. Please note that I’ve reduced every 8k texture to 4k (because of my slow internet upload speed). I will put it on a SSD and use Afterburner to check VRAM (but I believe that if it goes beyong 3.5 Gb of VRAM, i should see massive performance drop as I already experienced sometimes in GTAV) and see if it’s better?

BTW, how do I generate the Pixel Depth Offset map for a tree? Some of the Kite Demo trezs have one, other don’t, as you can see on the little tree in the background.

Curious what are ways to optimize a level if its streaming like 500 textures constantly ?..

No it doesn’t help :(. CPU is at 7%, Disks 0-1%, Memory 69%. Any idea?

Here is what stat streaming shows:

http://i.imgur.com/NLFd90Em.png

The editor starts with 1GB of VRAM, I think. Open the console/output log and enter “r.streaming.poolsize XXX” where XXX could be 1800 (number is MB). Depending on the streaming memory sizes of your scene, this could fix your problem.

SSD wont help because it is mostly GPU RAM-dependent, i think.

OMG Thank u so much!!!Solved my problem!

BTW, how much of my 3.5 GB of my VRAM can I allocate to the pool size? Tried 2000MB worked fine :slight_smile:

Well, with some tests from over half a year ago, i encountered that the engine stopped taking larger numbers at a certain point, but this could have been related to my GPUs VRAM at that time. More than 2200 was not possible. If you re-enter “r.streaming.poolsize” into the console, without providing any parameters, it will tell you how much it uses. Check if it really uses 2200 :slight_smile:
Anyway, glad I could help you with your problem. Btw. I think if you find the correct Base**.ini in your project /UE-directory, you could make the editor start up with your intended amount of VRAM every time for your project/ as awhole.

additional info:

if you enter “stat streaming” into the console, you can see how much VRAM your scene actually takes up. “Pool Memory used” or something.

omg dude this is amazing. Why isn’t this more heavily publicized? Like, put it on a counter somewhere in the config settings… holy ****. I’ve been working with that ‘streaming textures’ overlay for months now.

Thanks for the fix.

This was amazingly helpful to find out! Thank you so much LeFxGuy! Did anyone find the correct ini file to make the change permanent?

In Config/DefaultEngine.ini

Great tip! This is really helpful while working in the editor, but how can be fixed without increasing the poolSize?
Because not all users will have so much memory aviable.

Like it says here in the documentation for “Optimizing and debugging texture streaming”