CONSTANTLY compiling shaders!

never mind its back :frowning:

What is this madness?

[ATTACH=JSON]{ā€œdata-alignā€:ā€œnoneā€,ā€œdata-sizeā€:ā€œfullā€,ā€œdata-tempidā€:ā€œtemp_167321_1561454986188_83ā€,ā€œtitleā€:ā€œretdfgdfgGIF.gifā€}[/ATTACH]

@ - will you fill out a bug report to help us investigate?

I have too this problem !

I have it too. Makes material dev nigh on impossible. Currently using UE4.22.3

Same here but it didnā€™t start until a build or so ago ( version).ATM , 4.24.1, > " One way to reproduce it was to go to the Engine Scalability settings and each time you changed the scalability the shaders would recompile and as you selected other settings it would add to the previous compiling shaders. This was not supposed to happen and was fixed in 4.2, IIRC. "

That is happening here too,wondering if ticked something causing this? Given what Iā€™m seeing I suspect bug is back ??

IE: I change from medium to high material quality setttings, had to close down to leave ,came back started editor and bam, compilng 8000 some shaders ,which not seems standard but given given what Iā€™m seeing here and realizing this as a very old topic until page 3, Iā€™m wondering if thatā€™s not the case at all ā€¦HM
EDIT EDIT: after all that, on load of of project, yet another 3000 shaders!!!

So let the 8000 compile, watched cable and came back to 11500 compiling,so totaling almost 20,000 shaders compiling, and its taking FOREVER, albeit yes my system is not high-end BUT its still considered current by many @ i5-3570 8gb gtx 950 2gb . Yes time to UPGRADE as Iā€™m finding dynamic shadows useless for my world comp world of small size compartively speaking 2x2 @5101 ( yes I made mistake very early on , but doesnā€™t seem to be causing problems )

That canā€™t be right ?

This is getting crazy, looking for hopeful answers.

Thx

[=ā€œmrboni, post:44, topic:1835ā€]

I have it too. Makes material dev nigh on impossible. Currently using UE4.22.3
[/]

Just curios, rig specs ? Complexity of project ?
Might be instructive to all of us.

[=ā€œgbug, post:10, topic:1835ā€]

This has nothing to do with low PC specs. I just compared the behavior from 4.0.2 and 4.1 and there has to be something gone wrong in 4.1. In 4.0.2 when I disconnect a link on some node it just updates the shader thatā€™s open and that goes really fast. However in 4.1 whenever I disconnect a link, or even when I just open the material editor it starts to compile seemingly all shaders and just keeps queueing them up again and again whenever I do anything in the material editor. So you get those hundreds of shader compiles counting down with every little change, eating up your PC power for no reason at all. Sure hope this will be fixed fast, because it turns working on materials from superfun to painful.
[/]

Also in video from Unrealengine, which btw was excellent, perfect pace, incredibly instructive which is semi RARe these days, @ Intro to Materials: Creating a Basic Material | 02 | v4.0 Tutorial Series | Unreal Engine - YouTube , even his high-end machine stuttered a bit on compile of change. Not saying its not necessarily expected not knowing what his rig was at that time, but it is worth noting as it may apply to this topic.

[=ā€œanonymous_user_412d64b9, post:14, topic:1835ā€]

Iam aware that the engine is new but still I have problems believing that such a ā€œsimpleā€ thing can have such an impact on the overall performanceā€¦
But nevertheless - the ā€œLiveUpdateā€ and the ā€œLiveNodesā€ functions are both disabled and still it takes ages to recompile materials when I create, modify or connect nodesā€¦
[/]

Year 2020, still waiting on shaders to compile -____-

LOL, nice setup;0

[=ā€œlennysunreal, post:48, topic:1835ā€]

Year 2020, still waiting on shaders to compile -____-
[/]

Did you figure out a fix, &/or are you using a different engine where these issues arenā€™t existing ?

what is your rig, scene complexity, just wondering if your setup/scene is anywhere near mineā€¦what settings you might have adding to perf. issues or if its this ongoing nightmareā€¦

MOST of my issues tho even 4.23 is imperfect, is with 4.24 where my 2x2 world comp project is a MESS, where in 4.23 its just fine.canā€™t find any reason for it yet.

[=ā€œneighborlee, post:51, topic:1835ā€]

Did you figure out a fix, &/or are you using a different engine where these issues arenā€™t existing ?

what is your rig, scene complexity, just wondering if your setup/scene is anywhere near mineā€¦what settings you might have adding to perf. issues or if its this ongoing nightmareā€¦

MOST of my issues tho even 4.23 is imperfect, is with 4.24 where my 2x2 world comp project is a MESS, where in 4.23 its just fine.canā€™t find any reason for it yet.
[/]

The shaders compiling thing is just a permanent painful thing Iā€™ve always had to deal with in unreal. It always seems to be recompiling 4000+ shaders over and over again randomly when it really should not have to.
As far as 4.24 goes. I opened it, setup a quick blank template and level to load. Packaged the game out. The game wont launch when I click on the executable. So if it cant even create a functioning executable with the base template. I wont be using it lol

[=ā€œlennysunreal, post:52, topic:1835ā€]

The shaders compiling thing is just a permanent painful thing Iā€™ve always had to deal with in unreal. It always seems to be recompiling 4000+ shaders over and over again randomly when it really should not have to.
As far as 4.24 goes. I opened it, setup a quick blank template and level to load. Packaged the game out. The game wont launch when I click on the executable. So if it cant even create a functioning executable with the base template. I wont be using it lol
[/]

OUch, ya Iā€™m seeing WEIRd issues that Iā€™m not 100% sure are settings Ive made and forgotten about or just flat buggy engine V.
2x2 world comp extensively sculpted world, and where in 4.23 I could go from front, to back , left and right of map, in 4.24 , going to back of map causes severe drop in fps,around 6 fps!!

4.23 never did that, and what is worse, playing from location in that area, instant crash.

Hate to give up on sculpts Ive made but wondering if Iā€™ll have no choice but to redo it all in 4.23, unless epic fixes something and soon, assuming they think it needs fixing ā€”HM

TY for post, makes me feel bit better as if its likely its nothing Iā€™ve done,as ray tracing is off as my machine isnā€™t up to that kind of computationally heavy lifting,and atm Iā€™m just testing ONE of the four maps and perf. still dives horribly with crashing as noted.

They need to do better testing ,with those like me and no doubt others utilizing world comp for very large/huge worlds.
I honestly donā€™t think its on my end as I brought 4.23 world to .24 and no changes I made here I hadnā€™t tied in .23 .

So not looking fwd to redoing, at all.

Yes , the shader compile thing is getting to be a deal breaker, never used to do it in earlier versions, unless this is the price we pay for high fidelity.

I still donā€™t understand why there is no way to flat out disable this automatic shader recompiling. Let us decide, we are not braindead, we are capable of making that choice.
Though probably you might as well switch it off by default because the most positive reactions Iā€™ve seen were that of tolerance, no one actually liked it.

We have been asking for this since the very beginning. Please? Or is it already implemented and itā€™s only me who cannot find it?

2 Likes

With 4.24, compiling shaders have become much more annoying problem. Before, it was happening only when you change inis. Now, it is happening randomly as if it auto-deletes its cache.

2 Likes

I believe it is possible to get around this by disabling live update of nodes in the toolbar. Itā€™s still an extremely annoying problem and just changing a color of a Vector3 feels like compiling the entire engine, but this should help ease the pain somewhat until a proper fix is implemented.

I realise shaders have to be compiled. I can go and make tea. My question is why is this post still an issue after 6 years?

Ive totally given up on even making games, i tried testing the demo on Procedural Nature Pack on the latest UE4 to see how it would it look and it took 5hours just to compile, how can we even think about making games when all we do is compileā€¦is this suppose to be done already by the developers, we spend all our time looking at the screen for compile to finishā€¦what a waste of a journey to make games. so many people say this that and the other but really its defeats the whole point in why we even have to do this. I really wanted to make games but after 5 hours compiling 78 thousand on a demo by a so called games developer, who wants that. We all want to make games but cannot as so far if it takes 5 hours to compile a demoā€¦ then what about making a full game. yes i know theres many games out there, i run a 32ggb ram system with just UE4 on it no internet. I really wish this issuse can be fixed, all i do is watch the thing compile for hour on end, then where is the time to even be creativeā€¦ its just not there.
Sorry UE4 ive totally given up on you as a great product and even trying to make games anymore it just deflates me to the point id rather spend 5 hours doing something more constructive with more output. I just wouldnt recommend it to anyone in this point in time, Sorry this is lengthy .

3 Likes

Unreal engine 4.24.2 has problems compiling shaders even for a tiny setup in the material editor. This was not happening in 4.21 with the same examples. It has made it impossible
for me to deliver a project in time. I tried the suggested solutions in this thread without good results. Iā€™ve used UE4 since 2014 and Iā€™ve never faced an issue that completely blocked me from delivering projects. 10-20 minutes to compile a shader with an image map connected to the Color channel and a constant on the specular. This is unbelievable. ::

[=ā€œcesar_montero, post:60, topic:1835ā€]

Unreal engine 4.24.2 has problems compiling shaders even for a tiny setup in the material editor. This was not happening in 4.21 with the same examples. It has made it impossible
for me to deliver a project in time. I tried the suggested solutions in this thread without good results. Iā€™ve used UE4 since 2014 and Iā€™ve never faced an issue that completely blocked me from delivering projects. 10-20 minutes to compile a shader with an image map connected to the Color channel and a constant on the specular. This is unbelievable. ::
[/]

Have you tried deleting your Saved and Intermediate folders? Give that a try and see if there is any improvement.