So let me give you my current scenario to help you better understand why I’m confused:
I open a level in the engine but I’m lost with what to do next in regards to the following:
- I don’t know the best method/plugin etc to use to save the state of the multiplayer game.
- I don’t know how many models, textures etc I can place before the game will crash or lag.
- I don’t know how to implement an “open world” into my multiplayer game, or seamlessly transition from one multiplayer level to another while still keeping open the levels that players are currently on.
- I don’t know which models or textures etc I might need to optimize or how to tell if they might even be a problem.
As someone who is currently unable to code anything & is currently learning how to use blueprints more, I need to understand the options I have for level design before I start trying to implement certain things into my project.
I don’t want to code anything but If I need to do something with blueprints, that will suffice. I realize that blueprints is still considered coding but this is the way I’ve chosen to explain things.
I’m not opposed to ever coding but it is something that I’ll be doing far in the future as a long term goal so please refrain from suggesting any coding other than blueprints as I currently want to stay within the realm of my capabilities.
What I want to do is make a very large, open world, persistent, multiplayer game with a dedicated server, with voxel terrain. However, I’m lost at where to go with this because I can’t code & I can’t find anyone to befriend that knows what they are doing who’d be willing to help me.
Which paid or free plugins, tools, people, websites, tutorials, blueprints, marketplace, videos etc, are there that would be able to help me to create my project without ANY coding involved(again blueprints is fine though)?
I’ve seen the MMO toolkit & voxel plugin, but it seems they’d still not be enough to help me achieve this type of project as it seems I’d probably need to code a lot of things to tweak it enough to get it working for what I want but perhaps I’m wrong about that?
I don’t want to make a single player game as I am set on the type of project I want to make so please, in advance, don’t suggest such things as I have no trouble figuring out most single player game aspects. It’s the multiplayer, saving the game, voxel terrain & open world aspects that I’m mainly struggling with.
The caveats (things that won’t be changed) you must understand before you suggest anything:
- No coding involved other than blueprints (If necessary). I’m willing to allow others to do coding for me, although they will not be paid for doing so & they must do so in a way that I can access the code through blueprint functionality.
- No “Windows OS only” tools, plugins. addons, assets etc.
- I’m not willing to change the vision of my project other than the three things I’ve stated below.
The three things I’m willing to change in my projects vision if they can’t be done without coding:
- It doesn’t have to be an “MMO” I’d be happy to start even with the functionality of even just 100 players at once.
- Even though it greatly pains me to do so, I’d even be willing to forgo the open world aspect if there is no other alternative, so long as I’d still be able to have multiple very large levels, seamlessly integrate with each other with multiplayer functionality & voxel terrain.
- As a last resort I’d also be willing to ditch the voxel terrain features if there is no other options.
My questions to all of you:
So out of the options that are available through the marketplace or otherwise;
- can I create an open world, multiplayer game without any coding?
- can I create an open world, multiplayer game with voxel terrain(dig/destroy/build terrain) without any coding?
If I can’t create an open world, multiplayer game without any coding;
3. what is the maximum size of a level that I can create?
4. what are the available procedures with tutorials/documentation I can follow to implement level transitions?
5. what tools/options etc are available to easily save the state of the multiplayer game without doing any coding, considering the default save system is not good enough for this functionality?
6. can I still have a non open world, multiplayer game with voxel terrain and multiple levels, without any coding? If so how?
Thank you in advance for your advice!