Confused about Multiplayer, Saving, Open World, Voxel terrain, & Optimization. I need advice

A new question I have, when migrating assets to a new project, sometimes there are assets apparently located in folders that I can’t find, for instance I’m trying to migrate a free asset pack to another project and it is trying to bring files from folders that I don’t see in the hierarchy, such as a folder in the developers folder. But when I open the developer folder I don’t see the folder or files in there… How do I find these folders/files? Are they just references that the original creator left in there without including the files? If so how do I remove said references?

@NilsonLima
Thank you very much for those explanations. I’m probably going to have more questions about LOD & scalability in the future.

@Wysardry
I’ll really look forward to seeing if Epic releases some of those improvements. I really like what UE4 offers, even if it doesn’t have everything I want, & I’m willing to wait but I don’t want to wait years anymore like I had been to see if features I need are implemented After exploring Unity and comparing certain things, I really feel like they are far behind UE4 at the moment, and according to their roadmap they may start catching up by the year 2020, as they don’t even have free visual scripting yet, or a dark interface, and the interface layout is even clunky and laggy, and the visuals look much worse in their editor than UE4 out of the box.

I mentioned profiling tools and I have found a good place for you to dig about optimizations, takes some time learning and get experience but it tells where and how to find what you will need: https://software.intel.com/en-us/art…utorial-part-1

@NilsonLima That looks like a really useful guide. Bookmarked, thanks.

@Pine722 I’ve been looking at open world engine options for a few years now too, and I also think that UE4 is the best option overall, although I’m not planning to use voxel terrain.

My dream project is slightly less ambitious than yours, but finding the right combination of tools has still taken several years, on and off. It hasn’t helped that many websites lie about what their tools can do.

So the past few days I’ve been dealing with a HUGE frustration with Unreal Engine, which is migrating projects/content. You’d think it would be simple, but I have tried numerous ways to do it and constantly encounter errors and other mishaps. For instance:

1. select a pack “add to project”, overwrite files?(which files? why are overwriteable files included in the first place!?)
  2. Make a new folder and try moving folders into it so I can clean up a lot of these packs folders, but wait sometimes it will break C++ code, sometimes entire files are deleted such as maps that suddenly go missing after moving them and fixing redirectors!? Not to mention the freezing and crashing that occurs.
  3. I manually copy and paste folders in file explorer instead, but it asks me to overwrite a lot of files, how do I know which ones to overwrite or not!? How do I tell why fixing redirectors is going to break files or remove the ones I need? Why are there random errors that appear sometimes when migrating or moving files from within the editor? I’ll give a good example, it seems impossible to migrate the Vehicle Game to another project, because it includes C++, the UI folder is not able to be moved without breaking something. If the files are moved into a new folder and the redirectors fixed up, multiple files go missing and you will load up an empty landscape that is missing textures.If I copy and paste the files in the explorer instead less things are broken but I still can’t figure out the best way to go about all of this.

Thank you so much for that guide I think it will come in handy!

I’ve looked over the guide and I’m trying to understand some things.
I’ve also found this https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/b…pu-performance
So basically I’m just starting with learning to use the CPU Profiler tool before I move onto the next tools. It seems that is is very complicated and there is not enough documentation on it. So for instance I’m having slow downs & lag at certain points, and in the profiler it is showing “CPU Stalls” as the biggest culprit but one of the guides says that apparently those are nothing to worry about, but in my case I think it is pointing to an issue, for instance CPU Stalls of 8,000+MS total combined doesn’t seem good!

What does FrameTime>PumpMessages>Self. Do? It was at 105ms, which is very high.
If anyone has any information that could be helpful I’d be grateful.
FFileTransferRunnable frequently causes 300+ms CPU Stalls.
ResizeViewport>Self (85ms) (I know that this is resizing a window but why is it lagging so much?
TaskGraphThreadHP 6 (7113ms) CPU Stall
RTHeartBeat 23 (653ms) CPU Stall
FUdpMessageBeacon (1000ms) CPU Stall

Another example,after restarting the editor on a new level of an empty scene, it is taking a few minutes to load when trying to play in the editor.

The next thing I’m having an issue with. When I try to set new LOD on a particular merged actor mesh that has over 200,000 triangles, it crashes the editor every single time. Is there a way around this?