Compile Shader Crash 4.7.3

When creating a custom material, UE crashes when applying metallic modifier to base.

Crash Data:

Unknown exception - code 00000001 (first/second chance not available)

Fatal error: [File:D:\BuildFarm\buildmachine_++depot+UE4-Releases+4.7\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Private\HAL\FileManagerGeneric.cpp] [Line: 617]
Invalid BufferCount=0 while reading C://Users//csandema//Documents//Unreal Projects//DemoProject//Intermed

KERNELBASE + 37901 bytes
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDeviceWindowsError::Serialize() + 292 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformoutputdevices.cpp:95]
UE4Editor_Core!FMsg::Logf__VA() + 463 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:526]
UE4Editor_Core!FArchiveFileReaderGeneric::InternalPrecache() + 326 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\filemanagergeneric.cpp:619]
UE4Editor_Core!FArchiveFileReaderGeneric::Serialize() + 144 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\core\private\hal\filemanagergeneric.cpp:656]
UE4Editor_Engine!DoReadTaskResults() + 40 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:80]
UE4Editor_Engine!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::ReadAvailableResults() + 580 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:893]
UE4Editor_Engine!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::CompilingLoop() + 390 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:1019]
UE4Editor_Engine!FShaderCompileThreadRunnable::Run() + 128 bytes [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.7\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\shadercompiler\shadercompiler.cpp:504]

Thanks ,

I am a beginner when it comes to UE4 so I am afraid I can’t answer you’re question with the highest detail. Basically what I did was created a new material within the preset material folder that comes in the ‘StarterContent’ folder. I opened up the material editor and applied Vector3 color and whenever I went to add the metallic value, UE would crash.

Hey CSanderman -

Thank you for your report. We are beginning to dig into this issue now. If you can let me know if when you say Custom Material are you referring to adding a Custom HLSL code node in the Material Editor or simply adding nodes to make a custom Metallic material? It would also be helpful to see your Material Setup for our reproduction purposes and any HLSL code you might have added.

Thank You Again -

Ketchum

Hi CSanderman -

Can you go to the Project Folder in Windows and delete the Saved and Intermediate (and Derived Data Cache, if there is one) Sub-Folders and then try to reopen and add your material again? I looks like there may be a corrupted file saved there that we want the engine to force to rebuild.

Let me know -

Ketchum