Community Tutorial: Unreal Engine 5.3.2 for Meta Quest VR

Everytime I try and package my projects I always get the error PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Unknown Cook Failure. I have tried in two separate projects, one is empty and one made with the Unreal VR sample project.
I follwed all the steps in this guide, it is very frustrating that I can’t figure out what is causing the error. Here is the log file from the failed build.

I found the issue. My work security policies were blocking UE from writing to folders in the Program Files directory. I moved my UE5 installation to another folder outside Program Files and that fixed the issue.

Updated to Meta XR plugin v60, also added setup workaround for VRPreview on Quest.

Hello and thank you for your tutorial, why specific 2022.2.1 Patch 1 May 1, 2023 for android flamingo please ? and not the lastet version ? Same question for JE 17 sdk and not 21 ?

They’re the versions that Epic and Meta support

Looks like the Platform SDK is using the same link as Integration, shouldn’t it be this instead:

https://developer.oculus.com/downloads/package/unreal-5-platform-sdk-plugin

By the way thank you for such a thorough write up and continuing to stay on top of it!

1 Like

Thanks, and fixed.

Hi, thaks for the tutorial. Does this work the same for Oculus 2? I followed the instructions but I get a gray alert sign before the Quest 2 Quick Launch and get the following Launch error:
PackagingResults: Error: Launch failed! Missing UnrealGame binary.
You may have to build the UE project with your IDE. Alternatively, build using UnrealBuildTool with the commandline:
UnrealGame

Sorry for the sudden question.
Once I download this platform SDK, where do I extract it?
There is nothing on the download page and I am stumped.
I would appreciate it if you could tell me.

Yes this works with both Quest 2 and 3 (tested)

You can unzip the Platform SDK anywhere you like; just remember the path so you can enter it into the Meta XR plugin settings.

Thank you!
I had the wrong perception but finally understood.
We are still unable to package the situation, but thank you for this excellent guide!

I have tried with the latest version of Java 21 and Android Studio and it works. I created this video tutorial. https://youtu.be/8IXM08cRgXI

No doubt this worked for you (so thanks for posting) but this broke my editor’s Meta compatibility it’s somehow preventing the Meta XR plugin from registering. I had UE5.3.2 setup on windows 11 with flamingo 2022.2.1 patch 2 API 34 and 10.0 Platform selected, build-tools 34.0.0, NDK 23.0.7…, CLI tools 12.0, CMake 3.10…, no emulators. and JAVA_Home in my environment variables. Meta XR integration was in my Engine>Plugins>Marketplace folder with no MetaSDK plugin. My VR Preview and packaging was working just fine. I was searching for a solution to hand gestures not registering in my enhanced input system mapping so I tried your suggestions. Now the editor won’t recognize either MetaXR plugin even after reverting your setup. Any professional suggestions as to where I might look for a the fix would be welcome.

Maybe something appears to be wrong with your setup; it’s hard to determine the issue from your post. You could start by checking each step and observing any differences. Note: This guide was created by setting everything up from scratch- twice.

per your guidance on using Android SDK jdk-17.0.9, you should change this line below from 17.0.6 to .9.

**Unreal SDK Setup; SDKConfig**

1. Location of Android SDK: C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk
2. Location of Android NDK: C:/Users/name/AppData/Local/Android/Sdk/ndk/25.1.8937393
3. Location of Java: C:\Program Files\jdk-17.0.6
1 Like

Hi!

Followed the guide carefully, managed to set up everything, but my project build fails. I’ve been at it for a while, but I was not able to fix the issue.

I get a whole lot of these errors:
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)): ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: ovr_ApplicationOptions_SetDestinationApiName

referenced by OVRPlatformOptionsConverters.h:95

So I believe the MetaXR Platform is the one at fault.
I installed UE 5.3.2 as instructed in the guide,
However, the MetaXR 60 plugin states it supports only 5.3.1

Any advice or help would be greatly welcome!

The Meta XR Plugin and Meta XR Platform are distinct. The Meta XR Plugin is designed for 5.3.2, and regarding the Meta XR Platform, they have not updated it since nothing new has been added (it’s a simulator). The Meta XR Platform should not impact your APK at build time (and you don’t even really need it in my opinion).

One thing to check is the NDK version is correct, this can sometimes give this error.

Hi,
Thanks for replying!
I went ahead and reinstalled my sdk and ndk, all the versions are correct and android setup.bat executed without an issue, the packaging error, however, persists.
Example:
ld.lld: error: undefined symbol: ovr_ApplicationOptions_SetDestinationApiName
and whole other list of errors afterwards.

Any advice would be appreciated as I’m completely stuck with this. The app packaged without an issue before migrating.

EDIT:
Out of curiousity I’ve disabled the MetaXRPlatform Plugin, and the error did not occur.
(I’d need the plugin)
The project is blueprint only.

EDIT2:
Following these steps helped me fix the issue and packaging now went much further:

communityforums.atmeta.com – 15 Jul 23

How do you install the Oculus platform SDK for unreal engine

I’m confused by how to install the oculus platform SDK as shown in Oculus Developer Center | Downloads I have downloaded the SDK, but I do not know where to put these files Is there…

Now it packages successfully

Could you clarify this? How do I set it up in the MetaXR plugin?