[Community List] Free Software Tools & Resources List

Thank you Mhousse1247!! I actually tried out your AI sample the other day, it was a really useful starting point :slight_smile:

@ULLS , Glad it helped

Hi again,

Fragmotion can be used without buying it (for 50 USD), if you type in the prayer text appearing weekly. A bit strange, but makes it free :slight_smile: http://www.fragmosoft.com/

It is basically for animation, but can be used also for modelling. A bit old school, but updated, I tested its FBX exporter today and everything works fine with UE4. You can adjust keyframes by LUA scripting. It offers a couple of 3d file format conversion options, useful for hobbyists/modders, or if you port your work from another game engine.

Well i wonder if tiled map editor was added. If not here is where u can get it

Hey guys,

thread is really useful. I thought I would try to contribute with a list of sites with free mocap data:

http://animation.comp.nus.edu.sg/nusmocap.html
http://birhandursun.com/motion.php
http://www.3d-brothers.com/index.php/
http://www.motioncapturedata.com/

I hope people will find these links useful :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve updated the list with fragmotion (thanks to sivan!), tiled (cheers Birbir!) and all of the wonderful mocap sites (excellent addition contmike!!)

Thanks guys, keep the links coming!!

:smiley:

For Blender users:
I’ve just discovered these great addons. Converting UV islands to squares, EASY BOOLEAN (looks really cool), snapping vertices to drawn lines and more…

1 Like

Found freeware animation software: Index of /
Havent checked import/export options or tried it myself.

Supports 64bit Windows, Linux and OSx

1 Like

AwesomeBump!

1 Like

Game Design:

1. World of Level Design - World of Level Design.com is a website/blog aimed at those interested in Game Environment Art and Game Level Design for first person shooters.
  2. Blake Snyder’s Save The Cat - site provides writers the resources they need to develop their screenplays and novels using Blake’s acclaimed ideas and methods. very helpful when writing more linear game story arks]
  3. Extra Credit - Whether you’re looking for a game industry career or simply curious about the way game developers think, Extra Credits makes video game design approachable by exploring concepts like gamification, perfect imbalance, the skinner box, the uncanny valley, and more. Sometimes we also like to recommend a few games you might not have tried!
  4. Mark Brown’s Gamer Maker’s Kit - a YouTube series about interesting snippets of game design that perhaps aren’t widely used, known about, discussed, or appreciated.

Materials and Textures:

1. TextureLabs - Free textures/PBR materials Credit should go to omarchelos for mentioning it here: "][FREE] NEW Textures materials - Asset Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums]([FREE] NEW Textures materials - Asset Creation - Epic Developer Community Forums)]
  2. Classic Textures from Pixar - Created in 1993 texture library includes 128 repeating textures, now available for free.

Photoshop Brushes:

1. FREE PHOTOSHOP/GIMP BRUSHES! + Explanation by Jonas De Ro His work is AMAZING!]

Communication & Collaboration Tools:

1. BigBlueButton Open-Source] - is an open source web conferencing system developed primarily for distance education. BigBlueButton supports multiple audio and video sharing, presentations with extended whiteboard capabilities - such as a pointer, zooming and drawing - public and private chat, desktop sharing, integrated VoIP using FreeSWITCH, and support for presentation of PDF documents and Microsoft Office documents. Moreover, users may enter the conference in one of two roles: viewer or moderator.
  2. OBS (Open Broadcaster Studio) - Live-stream, screen capture to flv/mp4, multiple sources & overlaying video on video, records off the GPU so it has a very small footprint, Open Source. already mentioned it but it is worth mentioning again]
  3. HipChat - is a Web service for internal/private chat and instant messaging. As well as one-on-one and group/topic chat, it also features cloud-based file storage, video calling, searchable message history and inline image viewing. HipChat is available to download onto computers running Windows, Mac or Linux, as well as Android and iOS smartphones and tablets. HipChat is currently based on a freemium model, as much of the service is free with some additional features requiring organizations to pay $2 per user per month. Source: Wikipedia]
  4. Slack (also has paid options) - Slack offers one-on-one messaging, private groups, persistent chat rooms, direct messaging as well as group chats organized by topic. All content inside Slack is searchable from one search box. Slack integrates with a number of third-party services, including Google Docs, Dropbox, Heroku, Crashlytics, GitHub and Zendesk. Source: Wikipedia]

**Source & Version Control Tools:

**Totally FREE!

GitLab Open-Source] - is a great way to manage git repositories on a centralized server. While solutions like GitHub are a great option for many projects, they do not fit every team’s needs. GitLab gives you complete control over your repositories and allows you to decide whether they are public or private for free.
Redmine Open-Source] - is a flexible project management web application. Written using the Ruby on Rails framework, it is cross-platform and cross-database. Redmine is open source and released under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2 (GPL).
Trac Open-Source] - is an enhanced wiki and tracking system for software development projects. Trac uses a minimalistic approach to web-based software project management. Our mission is to help developers write great software while staying out of the way. Trac should impose as little as possible on a team’s established development process and policies.

I believe Epic Games, Inc. use to use before making the move to Atlassian JIRA

Bugzilla - is a “Defect Tracking System” or “Bug-Tracking System”. Defect Tracking Systems allow individual or groups of developers to keep track of outstanding bugs in their product effectively. Most commercial defect-tracking software vendors charge enormous licensing fees. Despite being “free”, Bugzilla has many features its expensive counterparts lack. Consequently, Bugzilla has quickly become a favorite of thousands of organizations across the globe.

Free but limited by user/project/repository count:

1. GitHub - is a web-based Git repository hosting service, which offers all of the distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) functionality of Git as well as adding its own features.
  2. BitBucket - is a web-based hosting service for projects that use either the Mercurial (since the origin) or Git (since October 2011) revision control systems. Bitbucket offers both commercial plans and free accounts.
  3. FogBugz - Complete Project Tracker for Development Teams. Used by over 20,000 software development teams for and bug tracking, project planning and management, collaboration and time tracking. All in one place.
  4. PivotalTracker - is a simple, story-based project planning tool that allows teams to collaborate and react instantly to real-world changes. It’s based on agile software development methods, but it can be used on a variety of types of projects.
  5. VersionOne is an all-in-one agile management tool built from the ground up to support agile software development methodologies such as Scrum, Kanban, Lean, XP and Hybrid. The organization helps companies envision and deliver great software.
1 Like

thread is amazing thanks guys!

@ULLS I would suggest creating a Wiki post with all of information than we can all just update the Wiki Page as new information is provided here in forum thread :smiley:

Pixar realeses Renderman for non-commercial use: Pixar makes RenderMan free for non-commercial use | CG Channel
Support:
Software: Maya 2013

Found addon for Blender and Gimp,which work side by side to texture paint your Blender models.It has made my life a lot easier,and its free and open source.

VUE, the industry-standar outside-environment creation tool have also an non-commercial version: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_2014_ple/
You have to create an account on their site to get it.

Support:
OS: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 32/64 or Mac OS X v10.5+ 32/64

I just tried Gifcam, and found it pretty lacking in many places :frowning: Not to even mention it ran out of memory when I tried to preview my recorded GIF.

I can recommend ScreenToGif, it’s open source and intuitive.

Yeah, Awesome Bump 3.0 with PBR support:

Github: GitHub - kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump: AwesomeBump is a free program written using Qt library designed to generate normal, height, specular or ambient occlusion textures from a single image. Since the image processing is done in 99% on GPU the program runs very fast and all the parameters can be changed in real time. AB was made to be a new alternative to known gimp plugin called Insane Bump.
Download: Releases ¡ kmkolasinski/AwesomeBump ¡ GitHub

1 Like

dDo legacy and nDO legacy are the older, free versions of Quixel’s popular tools (photoshop plugin?)

http://quixel.se/nDo2/nDo2_release.zip

CrazyBump http://www.crazybump.com/ (30 day trial)

“I found myself making nice normalmaps within thirty seconds of installing it” Mojica Level Designer Raven Software