Coming Soon: The Unreal Engine forums are leveling up!

I like the ability to just scroll back into a discussion and lazy load the content.
One thing i would appreciate is the removal of the top/bot margin on the “post-menu-area clearfix” which contains the reply/like/share button: each post takes a bit too much vertical space, i want to see more answers per screen.

Might be even better to hide this extra div and show it on hover of the post.

current:

no margin:

2 Likes

I was referring to the previous software not having a dark mode, not the new software.

Although the old software did indeed have a hidden dark mode as another user pointed out.

1 Like

Where is now the console development category? PS4 development category?
I had some links saved from the old forums that I can’t access cause “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private” it seems like they are not visible anywhere. Are they coming soon?
Thanks

This is one of the major issues. Almost all of my changelog links for marketplace product updates are broken now. On top of that, any links to previously explained solutions are also not working. It’s one of the most basic features we’d expect to work and I really hope it gets fixed.

@Amanda.Schade my USQLite plugin support topic disappeared:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/marketplace/1466416-plugin-usqlite

Thanks for the report! We’re looking into it.

@SouryGame We’ll be making adjustments so you all can edit your posts. Appreciate the feedback!

2 Likes

Some of the permissions didn’t transfer properly. We’re working to reinstate that access.

1 Like

Hope this is relevant feedback. There is too much spacing between letters in the hierarchy description and the font is way too big - it is impossible to read. It is even worse in deeper hierarchies. (See Image below)

I’d also like to see the default font with gray color, non-bold , white makes it too hard on my eyes.
I would also like to see the actual reply/post rectangle to be wider, it’s too narrow now.

2 Likes

Tons of old topics were either locked or erased, leaving a ton of dead links on google. What happened?

Can’t use browser default find (Ctrl + F) function.
Can’t download a page, (by browser).
Vote down Discourse, :frowning:

1 Like

Just why? Worst forum software on the market (by far) and no consultation ahead of time with the users who actually have to use the software. People hate change, yes, but not all change is good.

No external forum links work at all either that I see. Weren’t old links supposed to auto-redirect?

What? Discourse is the perfect tool for forums.

No external forum links work at all either that I see. Weren’t old links supposed to auto-redirect?

Just give them some time & share your actual issues rather than ranting. Switching to a different forum tool is a massive task considering the amount of content we have.

So be patient my friend :slight_smile:

If you are on mobile, maybe, but the general consensus from sites that I have seen switch to this software is massive user dissatisfaction (and some switching back due to the drop in engagement). Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect a change back to the old forums or to other software, as you said it’s a sizable undertaking.

My statement about external links isn’t ranting; that’s an actual issue.

I agree. Still wondering how they decided to make such a move instead to make absolutely new forum and turn the old forum to legacy mode.

OK, I’m generally fine with heavy forum changes… but I have to say this upgrade wasn’t done properly sighs

You have simply broken all links. Forums links in your internal search are dead.

There’s no way to mark forums as read?

Seriously, you manage forum upgrades like Unity manages their engine :frowning:
You didn’t test and fix the basic things…

1 Like

Bull. As a company I have done 3 swaps in a day, without fumbling links, on sites with a lot more traffic.

Like always, it comes down to experience. If you know what you are doing you limit the amount of mistakes.

As far as the forum software being the worse. It came along since 2011/12, but I still prefer phpbb with custom mods…

1 Like

Yep tons of broken links on google search now. But at least we have markdown wooo

C’mon man, imagine if a forum software of any sort doesn’t provide a way to retain links when changing software in 2021…
This is exactly like they did 2 years ago.

All links were down for a week or 2 when all that was needed was to add a, provided, because several users just gave them a regex for it, me included, mod rewrite expression…

Whoever is in charge of this is either the same person and hasn’t learned his lesson (doubtfull) or they fired the last guy (or maybe rewarded them by promoting him to the rendering side XP explains .26). And hired another newbie that just didn’t know he was supposed to check and make sure a regex was possible, and in place before the move.

I agree, We should probably offshoot to a domain like “actualunrealhelp.notepic.org”…
But the thought of having to deal with all the crybaby that post “this don wok, plz hlp” spelt exactly like that without any info on the problem stops me in my tracks…

Let them handle it. Or not.

If half the people on here stop posting advice the forum will be back to being no help at all. And honestly. While I try and help others, I almost never get help myself anyway so the usefulness of the forum is near zero.

Used to be the Epic staff actually tried to care. Now any time someone from staff thats not Amanda reaches out to us is like the second coming of Christ or worse…