Coming Soon: The Unreal Engine forums are leveling up!

Hard disagree.

Have you actually looked at the layout - with the end user in mind?

If you had to use the forum to find answers as an end user (not someone that can pick up the phone and call someone else in the company to come to terms with the problem you have to deal with), would you be satisfied using the forum as it is currently?

Wasted space everywhere @ 2k resolution.
No automated font scaling at 4k.

A timeline tab that takes up a good 20% of the page for no reason what so ever.
coupled to the inability of the end user to be able to quickly tell that a post is from 5 years ago - (let’s start a betting pool on how many old topics will get resurrected!)

automatic nesting of replies that really makes you wonder what is going on, with users replying to themself

Loss of core information about “WHO” is actually writing.
How will the user know if the post he’s reading is OK advice or just someone that’s trolling them on his/her first forum post?

Epic should probably HIRE A COMPANY to do the job right,
Or at the very least use a qualified person with a modicum of professional background in UI/UX

What’s been done is equivalent to:
“change engine, move data, pop in the base theme because who cares”.
we all care.
Mostly because the forum is the only place to get help, and this is making it virtually impossible.

What is absolutely hilarious is that you have at least 10 people who do web design professionally as forum users for the past few years, some who would even do work for somewhat free in order to be able to actually make use of the darn forum, and instead you just go and make a total mess.
I definitely :hearts: that.

7 Likes

I like new forum design! What about Unreal Answers site, it’s the same forum but people splitted in two places, and it would be better if we merge it together. Because people(and me) posting the same question in two places to get full help.

1 Like

Any chance long-time broken badge system getting fixed also? I still didn’t receive my engine contributor badge for example :slight_smile:

Hey guys! It looks like the forum update broke a lot of formatting, so now one of my old posts looks like this. I understand that it’s expected with a big update like this and some of those are probably my fault from when I made the post originally. The problem is that I cannot find a way to edit my original post in this new version of the forum. Is there a way of editing my original post to fix this and am I just missing something, or am I just doomed and my post will just look like this forever?

Discourse automatically disables editing after a while. so you can no longer create a post and later update/change the first post unless they make special accommodations to allow us to do so.

Even deleting messages or discussions is - for whatever messed up reasoning - “paused”.
The discussion will still be visible for a while and you could potentially restore it.

3 Likes

Great… GJ Epic!

Thanks for letting me know MostHost_LA.

There will probably be some initial growing pains, but I have to say I like the new forum. I just hope that all the issues reported by people here are addressed to the degree of possibility, so people are not left hanging :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, impressively enough, the new forum isn’t nearly as slow as the old one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have a dark mode here already right?

The new forum really feels like a mobile version.

Just curiosity, which forum they are using? I guess the old one was vBulletin but I have no idea what this forum based on.

I like the new forums, some quirks, but I’ll get used to it.
I have two questions:

1. No signatures anymore? Will they come back? Or where can I set a signature?

2. The FONT is really horrible and very hard to read. Can I change it somewhere? It is really eye straining.

edit: Oh, and third: can I auto-expand the replies as default? the nested replies?
fourth: can I have REAL DATES instead of “1h 6m 3d 1 year”?

1 Like

HI can you guys check out this link?
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/1537277-toon-shading-models-stylized-rendering-experiments
I Can not view the link,what is going on?
And the new Forums can not use google chrome translate,please fix it.

1 Like

The most import thing that needs to be fixed ASAP is all the broken/missing links!!! For example click this link in the second post, of course it’s gone! Character showed on the Inventory " Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private."
At the end of the day I think everyone would like the old links to work otherwise years of posts gone to waste. This is also slowing down out productivity on our games. Please make the forums basic functions work first, it’s more important than the look. I was searching the forums trying to find some answers to my problem I’m having right now and every single link is not working. Converting the links over should have been thought of while upgrading. Please tell us you can still fix this. Thanks

3 Likes

They broke all the seo links so right now we are ****** :slight_smile:

@Amanda.Schade What happened to “watched” threads (IIRC the function name)? Will they be converted to bookmarks or are they lost?
All my forum thread bookmarks that I collected over years are gone and there is no way to even remember what was there.

1 Like

Well, I like updates. Need time to get used to it. I see that posts with likes become a post with your own like somehow. It is really great that we have more identical features now and will be great to have an opportunity to upload your own picture to avatar.
Thanks.

Man. I don’t want to pile it on but these forums are absolutely horrendous.

1 Like

Everything having minimal visual separation is really gross to read. Something about this font really bothers my eyes too. Probably a lot to do with being actually white and a fatter font.

There’s also a colossal amount of space being wasted everywhere. It’s like I need to have the forums at 80% zoom. 6 single line posts fit fullscreen at 1440p without any scaling, that’s without signatures. It feels like the desktop version was intended for phones.

Sticky threads that don’t have any recent posts vanish into the list.

I’m pretty sure the older bookmarks that used /showthread.php etc used to work, they don’t anymore. “Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.”

That side bar is not a replacement for pages, I always hated it on the Blizzard forums when they switched.

Nice, i need to acclimate but nice, what i only miss is my avatar.