Collision / Physics on Modular Characters with 'Mesh Merge'

Hello, I followed the steps from the ‘Skeletal Mesh Merge’ section:

It does work, I now have merged the different skeletal meshes into one. But I lost all collision.
If I afterwards manually enable collision and set the physics asset of the whole skeletal mesh to one of the individual physics assets, that part gets back its collision, but only that part of the mesh. Also, it’s automatically simple collision then, although it should be complex with my settings.
The documentation page however specifically states at the bottom that physics do work with the Mesh Merge approach. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

I’m also having the same trouble with that, by using USkeletalMergingLibrary::MergeMeshes instead of copying sample code given in the doc page though.
Looking through the MergeMeshes function code, it looks do nothing with UPhysicsAsset.
What does “Physcs: Yes” statement on Comparison Chart section in the page mean?

1 Like

It looks like Merge Meshes just throws away the Physics Asset rather than using the one from the common skeleton. You can reset it to what it should be with Set Physics Asset on the character mesh component after the merged skeletal mesh has been applied:

Result: