Ceiling appears darker than walls but have the same material

Hi everyone,

I am using lumen and I just started you using unreal engine. (So I am a beginner )
I am working on a small villa. as attached
I saw a couple of people posted almost the same post, but there wasn’t any actual answer to the problem.

I deleted the scene and divided my walls to even smaller ones and imported them again and got the same result.
I used a standard M_Basic_Wall just to show you the issue.
I opened a new architecture template just to see and also got the same issue.

What am I doing wrong?

I would like to know how to reach a result even like the low res. screen shot from 3dsmax (second attachment) render regarding the ceiling.

I very much appricate any help.

have you tried increasing light bounces ? It’s in your direct light or sunlight if you’re using that, it’s default is 1 try increasing it to 5, there’s actually 2 parameters which are together for light bounces but I forgot their names since I have a habit of finding and increasing to 5

Hi,
Thanks for answering!
I think you mean indirect light intensity, I did that and it didn’t help much, I just want to get rid of that dark ceiling effect. it looks like ambient occlusion. is there anyway to fix that ?

check this dude tutorial. learned a bunch of cool stuff from him. especially the trick of using the spheres to check the lighting.

Yeah I am following him he is really good and watched the video too.
But when I apply everything he said, I still have this issue above.
As you can see here :

My issue is my ceiling is still dark as you can see in the pic. Both walls and ceiling have the same material.

dark in the corners? or overall dark?

you could create a different material with the white being brighter than the walls or an area light that points towards the ceiling

As you can see darker in the corners and sometimes even darker overall ( like at the end of the hall)

Do you have any method to help with the corners being dark?

btw thanks a lot for answering so fast.

I’ve checked a scene I’ve made and indeed the corners intersection appear dark in certain situation. So if you move around the room they will show more or less. There must be some option somewhere, probably related to the Ambient Occlusion. It looks like an Ambient Occlusion related thing to me.

Yeah I think so, do you know how to control or get rid of the Ambient Occulision while using lumen.

I did some research and long story short, I found that you can’t do anything.
Do you know anything regarding AO setting in lumen?

no, for now my knowledge ends with what the youtube tutorial told me

:man_shrugging:

UEForum
Try change sky light low hemisphere to false and add a ExponentialHeightFog :face_in_clouds:

is your ceiling mesh detached or whole floor, ceiling and wall are single mesh ?

No, it’s detached. Each part is separate.

can you try importing it as a single mesh ?

open your static mesh with a lightning problem , increase light map resolution details in the settings.

Min. Lightmap Resolution

and also disable cast shadow in the mesh properties.

hope it helps!
cheers!