Can't compile MetaHuman

I’m new to UE (10+ years of Unity though) and I’m trying to compile a simple project where I put a metahuman.

But I don’t have any luck.

Missing object file C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.3\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\MetaHuman\Intermediate\Build\Win64\x64\UnrealGame\Development\MetaHumanSpeech2Face\Module.MetaHumanSpeech2Face.cpp.obj listed in C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.3\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\MetaHuman\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UnrealGame\Development\MetaHumanSpeech2Face\MetaHumanSpeech2Face.precompiled

2 Likes

Is there any way to disable Speech2Face? Because I don’t need it and seems that it is enabled by default.

It looks like the MetaHuman plugin itself isn’t packaged properly and doesn’t contain all of the necessary object files to build projects for UE5.3. Aside from MetaHumanSpeech2Face, AutoRigService and MetaHumanPipeline are also missing from the Build output targets.

Since these are dependent on the MetaHumanIdentity module, there’s no way to fix this aside from disabling the MetaHuman plugin completely from what I can tell (for now, at least).

2 Likes

Thanks.

Will try UE 5.2 then :slight_smile:

Having the same problem even with UE 5.2.1.

I’ve tried to disable the plugin and the build succeed but when trying to start the executable I’m getting:

Fatal error: [File:D:\build\++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\RenderCore\Private\ShaderParameterStruct.cpp] [Line: 460] FHairEnvironmentLightingPS's required shader parameter FParameters::RadianceCache::RadianceProbeIndirectionTexture was not set.
1 Like

An empty project worked for me. Just installed UE 5.2.1, created a photostudio example project, imported a metahuman and compiled. Worked for me.

1 Like

I got it to build in 5.3 by changing the “MetaHumanIdentity” module from “Runtime” to “Editor” in the MetaHuman uplugin file (<engine_installation_path>\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\MetaHuman\MetaHuman.uplugin). I believe this is a bug, as all of its dependencies that are causing issues are “Editor” modules (MetaHumanSpeech2Face, AutoRigService, etc.). It can’t find those object files, because they aren’t generated with the “Runtime” modules.

I’m not sure if the MetaHuman Identity module is required for some functionality in a packaged project.

12 Likes

I disabled the metahuman plugin and built, it actually worked and played fine.

What I’m going to do for now is enable the plugin if needed then if I want to make a build, I disable it just before I build. It’s a patch solution until it gets ironed out in the future.

Speech2Face, I never heard of until I couldn’t make a build without it triggering errors.

1 Like

So weird. I’m getting this error when I try to preview in VR. But running my program normally in the editor is no trouble

Yep, same issue. Even if you reroute to the correct files it will still have problems because some files don’t exist.

@VictorLerp maybe you can help us out?

having the same issue here

bump

ok - I didnt think that would work but yes, just disable the plugin/remove it from your .uproject file

i thought i needed it because i’m using metahuman-related content but NOPE. I did NOT need it to build my 5.3 project.

For reference, check out Epic’s metahumans project on the store. That project doesn’t even reference it in project file. You likely do not need it either when packaging.

I have the same issue in 5.3.2 but for me i need metahuman because it is my main character, so don’t have the choice ! Impossible to build with this error ! but what the hell is this speech2face ?..

1 Like

Trzing this now, is this still an actual approach?

I believe they fixed the issue. If you have an older version of MetaHuman plugin, then you should update it and see if it works. For me, I had to remove the plugin and reinstall it.

Still happening for me when packaging. (as of 12/23/2023 with 5.3.2)

[UPDATE]
I tried changing MetaHumanIdentity to Editor as @brandav suggested (Thank you), and that appears to have worked. I am able to package now.

Just edit .uplugin:

{
“Name”: “MetaHumanIdentity”,
“Type”: “Editor”,
“LoadingPhase”: “Default”,
“PlatformAllowList”: [
“Win64”
]
},

6 Likes

Can confirm This works :slight_smile: