Can someone explain how this math works? Point A to B velocity calculation.

I was looking at math to try and figure out how to get the velocity to match the location and I stumbled upon a formula I had no clue how to convert. It seemed it was for a float velocity. Calculate force required to move a ball from A to B I experimented with it and then tested it out, turns out I made it pinpoint accurate and what bothers me is I have no clue how. I’m decent at math but a lot of this just goes over my head sometimes. I really want to understand what I just did though lol.

You can see the video result of this here 2023-04-05 21-49-36.mkv - Google Drive

Basically I’m setting the target location as the center of an ability decal.

hi @Brazen_Aden

Physics is wonderful huh?

Velocity is calculated using distance / time;
you then need a direction so you multiply the above by the vector.

So: (distance / time) * vector

If you want to learn more maybe look at this, it was free last time i looked:

Intro to vectors and scalars (video) | Khan Academy

Goes on to show you all about velocity, speed , time

1 Like

Time can be thought of jumpZ offset rather than “time”. The velocity of the jump is fixed at half of the gravity acceleration. If you target very far assume the character jumping in a very high arc.

Might want to take a look at SuggestProjectileVelocity for something similar.

Well yeah I understand vectors to that point. The issue I was having was more advanced. I was trying to create a jumping arc using physics. This was my solution. However, it turned out that I needed more control over the arc height and speed, etc. So I just used Chat GPT and I figured out a better solution. I wish someone would make videos specifically to help teach these issues. Khan is pretty good, but the issue with most math tutorials is there is no practical example to go with it. I learn best by example so I need the practical examples or I can’t understand the math. I wish they’d teach math differently than they do.

1 Like

I agree especially physics, real world examples go a long way