Can GPU particles work on the Oculus Quest?

Hello, I am currently working on getting a project that used to be targeted toward the Vive working on the Oculus Quest. A few days ago I noticed that our (cascade) GPU particle effects weren’t working on the Quest. Once I swapped them over to CPU, and applied some minor tweaking they seemed to work just fine. However, some of our other effects rely on vector fields and thus need to be GPU. I am not entirely sure why the GPU particles do not work in the first place, as it appears that GPU particles should work on mobile devices as of 2014/2015. Is there a reason I am unaware of or something wrong with the effects that I am missing? Do I just have to say goodbye to these effects? Are there any workarounds you would recommend?

Hi @FishBabe… I’ve been struggling with Niagara particles and Oculus Quest 2 in the last few days.

Everything always looks fine on the editor preview. However, on many test builds on the headset… GPU particles won’t render intermittently. They always start off fine, but as I tweak different settings, they often just stop working in the project build. I’m not making big tweaks, just normal changes… it’s very flipping frustrating.

At the moment, I suspect it might be the GPU particle bounds… I’m now experimenting with this.

I couldn’t get Niagara GPU particles working reliably enough… even by setting very big bounds.

So I switched to CPU particles, and (for what I need) it works well enough.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for the info!