Building lighting causes crashes?

This is the error I keep getting that and a warning saying that my computer is low on memory and would like to close “UE4 LIGHTMASS”
Specs:
Windows 8.1
Intell I9-9900k
16GB ram
Evga GeForce RTX 2070
And 4 SSD’s

I use the marketplace in order to supplement my income and support my family, and this error is preventing me from releasing more content.

=== Lightmass crashed: ===Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000
Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000

0x00007ff60a97ee62 UnrealLightmass.exe!UnknownFunction []
0x000000e400000000 UnknownFunction []

Any help is greatly appreciated I am going to try changing the Lightmap resolutions. Thank you very much.

Holy ■■■■! - 16GB is not low on memory :slight_smile:

I’ll suggest a few things here to try, but if these don’t solve it, it might be an idea to post some info about the kind of level you’re trying to build ( ie, how long does it take, when it is working, to build, is the lighting static or dynamic, how hard are you pusing the engine, yada yada ).

I had this exact problem today ( crash when building light ). I solved it by doing a Save Current As… to make a copy of the level, then openened that copy and the build worked ok.

Some similar problems I’ve had before I had to make a new level and copy everything into it…

Also try the very obvious things like removing whole chunks of stuff from the level and rebuilding ( don’t save it :wink: ). I’m assuming if you remove almost everything it will build, so what’s the minimum amount of stuff you can remove and it will build. Then you’re starting to home in on the problem.

Excuse me if you’ve already tried all this kind of thing, but this is a start.

Here are more screenshots, I ill try some of those things I have tried a few things, but I haven’t yet tried copying the whole level. Thanks for the input, I am trying to build a rather large map with distant mountain meshes and an advanced landscape auto-material, with a Fir forest. I have replaces and even tried baking lighting without an importance volume.

Ok, I’m wondering how you placed the forest now ( that sounds like a likely candidate ), the memory being related to the number of trees…

• Foliage tool
  • Procedural foliage volume
  • Landscape grass type
  • Manually
  • Other?..

I placed the trees via the foliage tool, I am using an advanced auto material to slope blend multiple materials. Each tree has 4 LOD’s and the lightmap resolution is set to 4 and a minimum of 512…

Ok, well 512 is still high for lightmap, 32 or 64 would be more like it.

I’m assuming if you bin all the foliage, the light will build?

Static or movable light source?

I have tried static, movable, and dynamic.
And yes Removing all foliage resulted in a successful lighting build.

Ok, so it must be the sheer number. I’m afraid I don’t know much about light builds as all my stuff is dynamic. I can only recommend standard sources:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/27910-best-way-to-deal-with-lighting-build-running-out-of-memory