[Bug] Orthographic Camera appears to be broken in UE 5.0

I put up a post outlining the issue here but didn’t have much response. There is a video enclosed in this link which shows the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/u0s3gp/so_is_orthographic_camera_just_broken_in_ue5/

Basically I’ve been following a tutorial on 2D platforming.

However the Orthographic camera seems to be only outputting wireframes in preview mode…I did a verify and a full reinstall and this issue is still here. Further I initiated a camera shake when damage is taken which for SOME reason outputs flashing lights as opposed to JUST a camera shake.

When I switch the camera to perspective and apply damage the Camera shake works as normal.

Just wondering if this is happening to others or can be replicated…I’ve been doing research on the forums and I’m seeing multiple complaints over the orthographic camera going back many years which don’t seem like they were ever resolved…

example:

This most likely isn’t a problem with hardware not being able to handle this…I’m working off a 3090 w/ 64GB of ram and all current drivers…It just seems to be a problem with this specific camera…but I’m hoping their may be a fix here?

Same here, would love to know if there’s a checkbox that need to be ticked or just broken…

4 days later and no info from UE devs. Honestly based on what I’ve seen online anything related to 2D dev (which would include Orthographic camera) just seems to get ignored…

1 Like

In 3D it happen too… did you find a solution finally?
Thank you so much!!

Same here (Windows 11 UE 5.02) . So weird I have super basic project.

Same here. The camera renders the scene in wireframe mode.

I don’t think Unreal will ever have a working orthographic camera. UE4 has always had a ton of bugs with it that were never fixed.

1 Like

Hey folks - we have a member of the team working on a variety of fixes for the Orthographic camera. It’s going to take some proper wrangling to get it in order, but we’re hopeful for an improved experience for 5.2.

Thanks for all the feedback!

4 Likes

Is there a roadmap or somewhere were I can see what’s being worked on?

Here’s the Unreal Engine Roadmap. It doesn’t look like it’s been updated to included 5.2 yet though.

1 Like

5.2, still broken…

3 Likes

Looks like a lot of fixes are now in 5.3. Shadows are working, which is what I was really hoping to see. :grinning:

1 Like