Bitmaps randomly corrupt?

Random texture files are going corrupt. I will be doing whatever and notice crazy artifacts that look like mixed up data all across maybe a normal map. I haven’t been editing or even really interacting with these files when I notice the issue.

Started happening maybe a month ago and pops up every few days with a seemingly random file. The other day it was a HDRI used in the skylight.

Is there a way to reprocess these without pointing to the source file? Sometimes they are a part of downloaded packs and I don’t see a way to reimport them? What could be causing this?

Virtual textures? Raytracing? Nanite? Does it still happening if you close project and open again?

I am using regular, non-virtual, textures wherever possible. No nanite (explicitly, maybe a mesh was auto without knowledge). Using raytracing, yes, Lumen usually, unless I need to switch to standalone or Pathtracer…

The problem does seem to go away randomly as well, closing and relaunching sometimes helps.

Could it have something to do with any background caching processes, or my GPU going bad? RTX 2080 super

Check in the material if there are some warnings like…

If there are no warnings in the log file, then it’s possible your hard disk or your GPU RAM or your regular RAM or your motherboard is having trouble. Hardware isn’t perfect :frowning:

I don’t think so, I think is about virtual textures / linear color …

That might have done it, but I can’t be sure, because I restarted and the material now appears correct. That said, I checked the console and indeed, it was looking for a virtual texture, after converting, the message cleared out.

Just now, I tried converting the texture back to non-virtual and the message fails to reappear. The param2D is set to use virtual textures tho, so maybe the error will kick in a little later. I don’t think this would be a problem with other actors like Texture Cubes piped into SkyLights.

I HAVE been maxing out my GPU’s dedicated RAM ever since UE5, it pretty much stays at 8Gb if I use cinematic settings.

But take a look to this:

Hmmm, how are you getting that data up top? I recently started switching scalability to keep performance under control but have not seen those numbers in my UI. “Show Stats” seems like it would have done it?

Sure, check this!

Thanks for weighing in. No idea yet what’s causing it, but I’ve got that data up and will keep an eye on resources:
Screenshot 2022-07-22 093559

So weird, here’s another one from today - have not edited the bitmap at all, haven’t opened the blueprint or material or mesh. Reimporting it fixes the issue… maybe I have faulty memory or something… I did just install another 64Gb a few months ago. I don’t know enough about hardware or cached data to have a clue as to whether that could be a part of it.

This is weird, so you got 64Gb ram, but how much is windows giving to the graphic card?
What about the configuration for unreal? Like ram for virtual textures…

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-14 at 8.51.30 PM

Thanks for the response, Alberto.

96Gb of RAM with 56 for GPU, although my dedicated GPU memory (8Gb) maxes out right away, even when scalability is set to low on minimal scenes with only a few actors and textures.

Then the only think I have in mind is to restore this:

And apply…

Unless is a problem with ram (different modules ram like frequency)…

It seems everything is good O_o

Thanks, I’ll try a restore.

I did install 64Gb of Ram a few months ago, I hope it’s not that.

mmm first try to download some big examples and see if it happens, like…

Because I still thinking is something of your project,
tell me how is going!

I found IT, it is because the Texture streaming is active!
streaming

look in here!