Big artifacts in UE5 scene

Hi all! I bought a project that was made in UE4, uploaded it to UE5, configured the project properly with DirectX12 and all other recommended settings. I have quality settings in PostProccessVolume and others. But what I get is horrible! I don’t know how to deal with it, permanent artifacts. I was thinking of redoing the scene from 0 with my materials, but I can’t just transfer the Mesh to another new project… I don’t know what to do and I really need your urgent help. Thank you! Video with artifacts uploaded to YT.

Hi @alexivai1! Welcome to the Forums!

I can see that your lighting needs to be rebuilt from your video, do you still get the artifacting after the lighting is built?

1 Like

Yes

You mean the ‘dancing textures’? I get this in 5, I assume it’s a bug. I get it even with very simple materials.

1 Like

If you are running with Lumen enabled, this could be because of Lumen screen space reflections and the ‘solver’ updating over multiple frames when you are moving to new viewpoints.

I guess at the moment the most accurate and high quality path is still Path Tracing?

Yes it is, and if you can render with it in this scene, I would.

Basically, lumen reflections struggle significantly with rough, reflective materials. Both diffuse and near-specular can be solved for pretty easily, but the denoiser really can’t handle materials with a roughness value of around .4. You can crank up reflection quality to 8 in the PP volume for maximum quality, but it can only do so much.

Alternatively, you could bake the scene’s diffuse light and use RT reflections, but at a significant performance disadvantage. Not a whole lot of options, I’m afraid.

Thanks for your reply. I didn’t do much in Path Tracing because I previously worked exclusively in Maya and everything is clear there. But is there a better way to optimize here? Because right now I’m trying to do a test render and I’ve made the optimal quality/speed settings. But it’s insanely long, about the same if I rendered it in Maya and Vray.

Yes, there are a few optimizations. Bounce count is the obvious one, and the denoiser is good enough that you can reduce the SPP as long as you don’t have high-frequency textures you care a lot about.

Also, how long did it take in Maya and/or Vray? I use the path-tracer relatively frequently (enough to have a hotkey for it), and I generally don’t run into scenes that take more than a few minutes to converge on the highest settings.

To be fair, I make good use of the denoiser, as I’m generally after accurate luminance and will save high SPP precision for final renders. 400spp and 8 bounces generally gets me the best results, for my workload.

That being said, this is a particularly challenging scene for lumen, or the path-tracer for that matter. The combination of rough-glossy materials and small emissives can definitely increase render times a fair bit.