Best way to test Multiplayer

I was wondering what would be the best way to test multiplayer, I have the networking mostly done but I was curious to know how I can connect to a team member or him to me, can we do this via editors or would we have to compile a build and use a direct ip connection?

I should work on PIE as long game is listening, i know some people do that on local machine, you can try to connect via in-game console

You can do that through editor, make 2 shortcuts of unreal editor .exe, in the Properties->Target add this after shortcut directory.

• For listen server: [your directory of .uproject] [Map name]?listen -game. Ex: C:\ShooterGame\ShooterGame.uproject Test?listen -game
  • For client: [your directory of .uproject] [Map name] [server ip] -game. Ex: C:\ShooterGame\ShooterGame.uproject 127.0.0.1 -game

what if I wanted someone to connect to me or me to them? Would I need to compile for that?

Make sure u and him have same project and unreal version, the one who run Listen Server will be server, you take his ip then edit ip in Client .exe file in your computer, run and you will connect to his computer. Reverse if you want he connect to u. You don’t need to compile, if your project already can play in editor.

We are trying the shortcut method and we cant seem to connect to one another, dont know if its a node issue or dmz,port, firewall ect. Though we have allowed DMZ, disabled firewalls and even tried using Hamachi with local and direct IP. Any thoughts?

I have the same problem first time but then i disable the firewall from both side and it’s working fine. I’m not sure about node issue, you can try to create a new project 3rd person blueprint and test. And btw when you test on single computer with 2 clients it’s working fine right ?

That is correct, and we have both firewalls disabled.

the same problem here…

@anonymous_user_f5a50610 my man, I want to host on my computer on the LAN, and I want my friend to connect to my listen server from his Laptop which is on the same LAN.

Erm, hi, how would you do this with a main menu.

SO I press Host game on my main menu, it listens on map “Game”

My friend on the same LAN executes game, and looks for games in the server list, will my game come up on his laptop?