Beams

Wee “Inventory” working :slight_smile:
I have so much fun doing that, i must be sick…
The Inventory container is placeholder, have a cool idea for that.
The best part about that inventory is for me, that it is made of different parts, easy to integrate in gameplay.
Search Key, search inventory, search puller, load - unload.
And yes there is some sort of advantage, when you use that system and not carrying blocks one by one, more then that :wink:
84cdaff4aa51ae8d45770d71648ca0d80e9ced41.jpeg

Pretty neat, keep at it. =)

this is cool!!! reminds me of tron… awesome future stuff there

Inventory update:

I had some problems with the hatch, modeled a very nice one, used constraints, performance impact to big.
Rigged the hatch and tried skel mesh, some collision issues with thin objects, and jitter while moving phys objects (pushing).
But the workaround i found, is even 106% more realistic!

Devsnippets about me, dev the weirdoventory
You can load unload it sure.
Activate/deactivate.
Lure to position, where you place the attstick.

I broke that into parts, because i use them as gameplaymechanic too.
Find powerup item and power it up.
Search for weirdoventory and power it up with powerup/item/battery/key whatever.
Search for the “puller” get everything together.
When you fill it up with blocks and moving to a far away position, where you need the blocks for the Libraform , then you have not only a time advantage against carrying all blocks one by one, because you need to “harvest”](?v=ktpr1JhnDgY) them first.
Here the fresh Video :slight_smile:

?v=TpBTcHMgEd0

Roundabout ten hours pure worktime (with modeling and hatchfails)…

Thank you so much.
I think the fun i have while dev is visible, even when it’s childish sometimes, but i personal like it very much and i am so happy, that i am not alone with that. :slight_smile:

Thank you too.
Yes i love(d) the cold/clean look of tron too. Perhaps there is a small chance of under 127% that i got influenced by tron.
Even when so far is not to much to see about it, but Doom1 and quake1 have a slightly smaller chance of influencing me.
Sry for typing weird, but i do not know, what i should write, aside that i am happy and not at least because of your feedback :slight_smile:

Sincerely Bauch (happy one, because that feels someway great, when you could create stuff, like you wanted it)

Hi Luftbauch. I have to admit BEAMS is definitely one of the most *unique *games I’ve seen in development in the community. It has a sort of interactive artistry to it. The Mind’s Eye (with accents of TRON) brought to life. This game feels VR and hopefully you’re adding VR Support. I can also see a place where Leapmotion controls could serve a great purpose. I’ll be tracking this project.

Keep up the awesome work!.

Evolved Weirdventory with Shieldmechanism.
It works and it’s a big pile of fun for me, to use it.
[SIZE=1]The dark antimattercannon and the interstellar disruptor have to wait for the next conference in geneve(after 11.03.2016).
Then we trick them out and when they finally react, it will be to late for them and all known and unknown universes are destroyed in an eyeblink of a snail then.[/SIZE]

://orig02.deviantart.net/fe38/f/2016/044/b/c/minicolli_by_luftbauch-d9rk12t.gif

Here a stresstest, where i tested vertical lifting with disabled Force.

://orig11.deviantart.net/900a/f/2016/044/d/2/stresstest_by_luftbauch-d9rkvtj.gif

Wohoo so cool, sry but i like that so much on my own. :slight_smile:
Sincerely Bauch

Thank you very much Frankie :slight_smile:

Oh cool stuff again :slight_smile:
Cool to have arrows.

https://www.youtube/watchquIYNfT_6Q

Where that wolfpack of arrows end is the Key for the Inventory.
I hope ppl will not miss it, because it’s completely distracting fun ^^

Please NOT!

screenBeamLogoax.gif

Better so!

://orig05.deviantart.net/b8c8/f/2016/046/d/9/love_by_luftbauch-d9rw1e3.gif

happy greetings :slight_smile:

Ok so I’ve seen you posting this over the last while on the forums and I’d like to offer some constructive criticism.

I like the idea of the different colored beams and the visual style you are going for- HOWEVER, having most of the surfaces at 0 roughness causes an extreme amount of artefacts in the image, and makes the game harder to look at.

I’ve watched almost all of the gameplay vids, and screenshots and still have NO idea what is going on or what the goal is- I can make out a lot of moving boxes and objects flying around- I’m not trying to be mean or harsh, it’s genuinely my reaction whenever I see a post about- the amount of contrast between colors and objects moving makes it quite hard to look at or see what is happening- hopefully you see what I mean and are just using the current scheme to prototype ideas!

THIS is an example of what I mean:

(when I see this, it’s like “What the hell is going on here”)

When you design things it is easy to know what they do and how they look, but it’s harder to see it from the perspective of someone who is just looking at a screenshot- hopefully you see what I mean here!

Finally, although this seems pretty negative I think you have what could be a unique and cool game, and I love how much fun you are having while developing- this is what it’s all about. I thought I’d just give my thoughts to help you improve on it if you were planning on moving forward and releasing it at some point in the future! Keep having fun and making cool stuff ( that moving sign in the post above is AWESOME btw :slight_smile:

When someone want to help cute cats out, or finding more musicstyles then electro for BEAMS, then pleases go on my Twitter Acc and vote for musicstyles in Beams.

Yes it is/was one of the best of them, so far.
Thank you very much for your time. :slight_smile:

You are right with metallic/artifacts and i think, it will be no problem to provide different mat/lightstyles optional later.
But for now i want to stay with it, then when the player sees it in reality and not through my bad videocap or reduced screenshots, it feels better.
When players want it different then i could offer an option as DLC for 47,50€ ! hrhr
And yes it’s confusing.
Emitted edges reflect different then unlit areas, when you are in small hallways and emitting stuff is flying around, hard to see what is real and what is faked, like in a mirror maze.
Mazes should confuse i thought. :slight_smile:

Light is in testphase, materials too. I test stuff impacting performance in standalone build later.
All my records are not well in color or sound, sry for that. :slight_smile:
I recorded a “secret sauce video” for your eyes only, well hidden at the end of “boring proc audio devsnippets”.

Beams is some sort of simple race again the time game.
Share your time, compete with others.
Start time - plan your way.
Look at the both timers, one is general lifetime, one sectortime.
Take your goodies with you, or not. Your choice.

Perhaps you are safer with it, but faster?
Skilled?
Makes screenies at some points automatically, share them for good stuff, with a highscore. ^^

?v=uFp8RNSpDY4

Bwahaha i like that. ^^
It’s only about the hatch on the weirdventory.
It looks a bit like a mutated transporter, or not?
Because it’s one.
The “cubifly” you attract with the cable snapped onto it, is the “weirdventory-engine”
Point it, where it should drive. :slight_smile:

Why has everything to be clear in the way you use it?
Look around in the gameworld, so many boring clones.
Highlighting everything, pointing every objective out on a permanent minimap and with a special keypress you could reveal shortest route.

For me, that is not so important in a game to have fun!
Fun is all in the end, when it comes to gaming, if you ask me and so far, you could have some in beams.

I really take nothing negative, what you wrote.
More the opposite. Feedback is one of the most important things, i could get in this dev phase.
Sincerely Bauch :slight_smile:
Something i made to relax, but i like it. Dunno if i should put it ingame?

Not much changed.
Added some teleporters for the sectors, some sort of savepoint.

://media.indiedb/cache/images/games/1/46/45744/thumb_620x2000/telegif.gif

Some projectiles, to toast stuff more eyecandylike.

://media.indiedb/cache/images/games/1/46/45744/thumb_620x2000/laser.gif

://media.indiedb/cache/images/games/1/46/45744/thumb_620x2000/lazar.gif

Stay tuned :slight_smile:
Sincerely Bauch (happy one)

Some sort of basic AI update.
Very basic i know, no behavior tree, but some sort of statemachine.
They act as mobile perimeter defenders for the static defenders.
The red pins are entry locations for porting(ai only), player has seperate ones.
I needed something like that, because my ai only worked inside one navmesh and could not “jump” over gaps in map/navmesh.
Some effects missing and i need/search for an option to scale them inside location point up and starter point down, to increase ai travel density, without portblocking.
Ok for me/now.

?v=cGZwcOT4mj0

:slight_smile:
Hrhr, cool :slight_smile:
Gimme more!

Coming along nicely! Just a suggestion, maybe give the emissive materials a little more boost to brighten it up a bit? =)

Hi Jonathon.
Yes you are right. I test some different glow- reflectivestuff, but forget most times to reset the values.
Sometimes it would even help, when i do a lightbuild, before recording.
But when i see a mistake, it’s most times to late and i think pfffft.
Here again one without lightbuild, sry.
But it’s only about procedural audio.
v=kGTuZeMFuR4
This videorecording makes only small sense, if you ask me, when i look at the views.
An animated gif is more effective to reach out for worlddomination, or even Vines.
All this messing around with FPS drops while screencap, or codecs last days.
So much changed with a second display (weee future) ^^
Best greetings and positive stuff for you and anyone who need some. :slight_smile:

Reworked the procedural Audiostuff.
Next time, basic procaudio sys will be finished and has only to be loaded with any samples to generate full procedural music with some nice variation.
Recorded it a bit brighter, but my screencap software bandicam works no longer nice, since GFX upgrade.
v=YwE2O7VwOmo
Doing some 2D stuff, more locations will follow, in India, France, Germany, Sweden, dated into future.
Then published on some walls in Beams.

://orig05.deviantart.net/acc5/f/2016/066/d/4/fukushima_memory_by_luftbauch-d9u9uls.jpg

://orig03.deviantart.net/99bd/f/2016/066/1/4/tchernobyl_memory_death_toll_by_luftbauch-d9u9vhf.jpg

Movement controls completely reworked again.
Now grapple length adjustable with mousewheel.

Did some “Decorative” stuff…

://orig00.deviantart.net/a4be/f/2016/071/0/4/memo_by_luftbauch-d9uumoa.gif

Then i looked into Blendspaces and animation blueprints and i am happy that i could handle 3,25% of it…

://orig04.deviantart.net/35c7/f/2016/072/f/4/spider_loop_beams_by_luftbauch-d9uyaw2.gif

://orig04.deviantart.net/843a/f/2016/074/1/6/spidysmall_by_luftbauch-d9v6c95.gif

UE4 is such a cool “toy”, need more freetime.

That Spideroid is insane! I want one.

Was a bit lazy last days, focused on destructibles and a system to clean out debris (initial idea)

://orig02.deviantart.net/beff/f/2016/084/b/7/minihole_tweet_by_luftbauch-d9wdlt3.gif

But after that worked "relative"nice (without getting ref to single chunks :frowning: ) , i extended the idea to a more erosive effect.
Two opposite positioned black holes are giving me the best result. Here testing scenebased performance impact.

?v=gSLMA_MlL-Y

Then a bit of material editing and small bugfixing in controls and creating fresh bugs ^^

://orig10.deviantart.net/093c/f/2016/084/9/9/spiral_by_luftbauch-d9wdm2b.gif

Confusing corridor ^^

://orig13.deviantart.net/9337/f/2016/084/d/f/spralidorr_by_luftbauch-d9wdmti.gif

Opt of lasers performance.

://orig14.deviantart.net/8586/f/2016/084/e/0/barrie_by_luftbauch-d9wdmcl.gif

Hi @TechLord
The spider is a free model i got it here https://twitter/GiManimations
I changed / added some animations and remeshed it to a lowpoly thing.
I added some modular stuff and plan to make more.

When you setup a nice spiderpawn/ai with animationblueprint-setup, i give you my modules(share).

Thanks for the information Luftbauch, but I want yours. lol.

I agree shooting off Limbs would be very cool. I personally would apply destruction to every area. Do you have a plan to achieve this effect? Bone-breaking, Destructible Meshes, Attach/Detach Meshes?

PS: I love the Screenshots/Vids, but it takes forever to load this forum post:(

I am always scared about performance impact, when doing stuff and often i make “silly” but in some way satisfying tests.
Here is one, where i spawn 3000 physical actors with unlimited lifetime.

://orig08.deviantart.net/579b/f/2016/085/b/e/3000shortie_mini_by_luftbauch-d9wifnu.gif

Here the video about it.
v=p8kLQWrEEfU

I wrote it, that you can have it, when you create an animation blueprint for all blendspaces and states ^^

I think about using destructibles for detached stuff. Easy to use for armor. But much harder to get an optical result for shooting off stuff.
For example shooting of limbs. It has to use ik targets so far i know and that would be 8 traces minimum to force a visual change in walkanimation, when legs are off.
To much calculation for my small brain. ^^

Thank you very much :slight_smile:
Yes this thread is a real prepaidhandy-cash-sucker. ^^

Implemented some stuff, like time dilation, but i really like to play (basic learning) around with UE4 Materials.
Tested some forcestuff for the destructibles, to make them not only devorative.

Here some #animatedgif with perspective/view/material/destructibles/dilation tests.
I have so much fun doing that :slight_smile:

://media.indiedb/images/games/1/46/45744/pillar.gif

://media.indiedb/images/games/1/46/45744/rota.gif

://media.indiedb/images/games/1/46/45744/blinkgif.gif

This is my most used multimaterial, very flexible, use it for 90% of materials, aside morphed/animated.

I used/tested a mazegenerator, but it generated so much useles geometry, that i had to “remesh” it(modular)…

And that is, how it came out :slight_smile:

Tell me, what you think.