Baked global illumination in UE5

Hi, I recently upgraded to UE5 and after I rebuilt my level’s lighting I noticed that baking lightmaps doesn’t seem to include GI even though I already disabled Lumen as my dynamic global illumination method. Is baking GI just not possible in UE5 anymore? Thanks.

UE4.27:

UE5:

5 Likes

I really hope, they either fix(if its broken) or bring it back if it really was removed, SSGI and Lumen while they look amazing, sometimes, baking things is all we need, the frame rate difference also, is gigantic.

I have just migrated my project and it is much darker aside from some specific props being overly lit instead. Would love to know if it’s possible to have it behave as it did in 4.27! :slight_smile:

Lightmaps should still work.

Make sure you have the following settings:

1. Allow Static Lighting is set to Enabled (in Project Settings)
  2. Dynamic Global Illumination Method set to None (in the Project Settings and/or post process volumes)
  3. Force No Precomputed Lighting set to Disabled (in the World Settings) (If “Force No Precomputed Lighting” is greyed out and you can’t change it, that most likely means you are using a World Partition level, which doesn’t support static lighting.)
8 Likes

All of these are correct for me, but the results in UE5 (with baked lights) are a lot darker.

On the plus side I see that some of my meshes have incorrect normals!

1 Like

It’s most likely a difference in exposure

These are the settings in the postprocess volume. Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

1 Like

All set for my project. Really seems to be the baker’s issue.

Are you using GPU Lightmass?

1 Like

Nope

No idea what it could be then, I’ve tested baking in a newly created project as well as a project ported from UE4, the results are identical.

Baked lighting definitely works.

I can only assume this caused by something in particular about the way your scene is set up but I’m not entirely sure what it could be.

Are these static lights? Emissive? Are you using modifying the indirect lighting intensity in your post process? In your lights? Do you have reflection captures set up?

Baked lighting does work but the issue here is that global illumination (the bounces off the walls) seem to be not. Those are indeed static lights. not sure what you meant by emissive though. The only thing that my post process vol is modifying is the visual effects, aberration, lens fare etc.

I’m not sure if the issue is my project because the exact same scene when baked in UE4 looks different (as shown in my pictures).

I may have to downgrade to UE4 if this issue persists or until they fix it. Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

I have the same problem.

UE4:

UE5:

Same project.

The shadowmaps are created, but not applyed:

Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-10 a las 21.13.46

I’m working with an Intel iMac with Radeon Pro. Do you work on Mac too?

2 Likes

I have the same problem on WINDOWS too

Same Problem here. Cant bake

1 Like

Hmmm, not sure. I have tried this and it seems to be working. Can you share your project?

1 Like

Sure, this is the test project:
Test_GI 5.0.zip (4.1 MB)

It has a very simple setup:

Captura de Pantalla 2022-04-11 a las 22.17.15

Hi!

I opened the project and deleted your project settings to default. When opening the map, it was totally black, only with that “white line” illuminated by the sun. After building:

And without modifying your project at all; just opening and building:

1 Like

Is Dynamic Global Illumination set to none here?

I just saw this on Twitter

5 Likes