Augmented Reality for UE4

Hey guys,

I’m wondering if anybody can explain the difference between ‘moving the object’ and ‘moving the camera’ is one more stable for tracking?

I need to see a static scene on a table. My plan was to have a marker in each corner of the table which adds a unique offset to the 3d scene, to always make sure its positioned in the middle of the table…

However, from testing this set up its more apparent that not having the model directly on top of the marker and instead offsetting it from the corner of the table makes the tracking stability worse.

Is there anyway to strengthen the set up between markers? I’m not really sure what kind of maths is required in the blueprints to make error correction between markers.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Great ! if I change your marker image with my specifit image? what can I do?

You can use your own images for tracking.

Hi, .
i am using Full Version, commercial ver.

1. project works fine on viewport preview.
    and then i tried to package project for android, it works fine by installing with batch file which is generated by ue4 on my developer mobile.
    but that means only android system with developer mode turned on is working.
    i tried many different phones without developer mode, always gives me the result with webcam init error on any different mobile
    (.apk packed with .obb and without .obb tried both)
    (i tried packing win version, and still it gives me webcam init error)

2. also some of phone are just crashing. lg G5 and J5, J7 they are at least android 6.0

do you know why its happening? any idea?
thx

— added —

i just tested again with new project and copy paste provided SampleProject files to new project
then packed without change any of assets

still it crashes in G5, J5, J7
i used 4.19.0
c++ project, empty
mobile, scale 2D,3D, no start contents

crash message “Unfortunately, [TestProject, project name] has stopped”

— added(2) —

i solved problem (1) it was the problem of obb folder location,

"
In SampleProject\Plugins\ARToolkitPlugin\Source\ARToolkitPlugin\ARToolkitPlugin_APL.xml locate this line:

String obbPath = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() + “/obb/”;

Change it to:

String obbPath = Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() + “/Android/obb/”;
"

but still doesnt work for windows and crashing problem is there.

1. Test devices must be in developer mode, because the installer script is using ADB which requires USB debugging on android. In case you want to test it without developer mode you need to upload the app to the play store and install from there.

2. One of my test device is a J5, and did not experience crashes on it.

To find the reason of the crash you can access the output of your device. Open a command prompt and run the following, while your device is connected via usb

adb logcat -s UE4 -s CrashAnrDetector

Run the app. You will se the output log in the command prompt.

Hello again.
Trouble with iOS resolution <> rebuild plugin.

So I was doing some work/proposal with the plug-in today. I generated new NFT files, tested using my mac and everything was super fine and good.
Then I installed on my test phone (iPhone SE) and I don’t get the same snappy result. In fact I have to point the camera for seconds before I get any result.

So I am assuming the resolution of the camera has something to do with it.
Then I followed the steps to increase the resolution on iOS devices. WELL, when I change the setting from “cif” to whatever other options (720p, 1080p, medium), the builds fail. Then when I re-open the project, it asks me to rebuild the dylib and that fails as well, it tells me to “rebuild manually”. So I do that, but that fails too.

Do you think just lowering the generation resolution of the NFT (genTextData) would also help, since the camera resolution is lower?

Also do you know why shadow disappear when I rotate the model?
It seems to work fine when I replace the motorcycle mode with the box, but when I try to replicate the same thing on the Basic Scene I get the shadows fading in/out and the “floor” (Cube) darkens the camera feed.

What error did you get while compiling ?

Hello
I have a problem with making build for arm64-v8a.
When i checked the Thirdparty folder (\Plugins\ARToolkitPlugin\Source\ThirdParty\ARToolkit\lib\Android), there is only libraries for “armeabi-v7a”
My question is: is there are support for arm64-v8a and if yes what should i do to make it work?

So when I change the iOS parameter from cif to medium for example on ARToolkitDevice.cpp I get this in sequence:

1. Then I delete:

2. Intermediate/Binaries folder on the plugin

3. Also delete Intermediate/Binaries folder on the game project

4. Right click on the game project file and click “Services>>Generate Visual Studio Content” (I’m on a mac)

1. When I try to open the project it says it need to rebuild the : Missing [Project Name] Modules. The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version… would you like to rebuild them? YES.
  2. ERROR. Project Name ] could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manuall

Then that is it. All I can do is copy/replace the /plugins folder from the provided Sample Project to make it work again.

Hello Fabiano,

I have tried to reproduce your issue, but it compiled fine on my end using xCode 9.2.
Can you try with a fresh new sample project ?

Best Regards,
Horvath

Did you ever calibrate your camera for better tracking? If so, do you have a link to documentation on how I can do this?

Thank you

Hi,

Does the plugin support the recognition of a custom image?

@6r0m

If you don’t mind me answering for …

Yes it does, i am also about to start training my own. Here is the documentation to train your own…

NFT (image)
http://web.archive.org/web/20171226174659/https://archive.artoolkit.org/documentation/doku.php?id=3_Marker_Training:marker_nft_training

Square Marker
http://web.archive.org/web/20171226171540/https://archive.artoolkit.org/documentation/doku.php?id=3_Marker_Training:marker_training

Thank you very much!

@jakwarne

I reviewed this docs and if you don’t mind I have a questions/issues:

1. all docs are by webarchive, links are not working (for ex. NFT Utilities which help to teach recognize image), also in github no activities - ARCore and ARKit kill ARToolKit?
  2. maybe can you give some steps for recognition visit card in AR using this plugin?
  3. also do you now the state of AR in 4.19 (I’m wondering how can recognize markers, if place they on visit card)?

@6r0m

1. Yes, the Webarchive website isn’t very useful because somethings are missing, but its the only place where the documents are available, because the ARToolKit official website doesn’t work at the minute.

2. I guess you would have to follow the steps for training an NFT marker ( Training ARToolKit Natural Feature Tracking (NFT) to Recognize and Track an Image [ARToolkit] )

…unless your business card is square, then you could do this instead ( Creating and Training Traditional Template Square Markers [ARToolkit] )

I don’t know anything more about the steps you would need to take to make it, only whats written on those pages, sorry.

1. ARCore and ARKit in Unreal Engine don’t support marker recognition at the minute, so the only option is a plugin like this one.

@jakwarne

Thank you for your info and time! very appreciate it.

1. there is a problem - for dataset generation need NFT Utilities for ARToolKit , but link is broken.
  2. I’m wondering how they done this The Human Race: Behind The Scenes | Project Spotlight | Unreal Engine - YouTube
    if Epics integrate ARKit 1.5 - it’s solve the problem. very interesting how they doing it in the source too))

Am I right in saying that the plugin was build with ARToolKit5? and ARToolKit6 isn’t available for windows?

Yes, it’s was built with v5.3.

I’ve uploaded it it to my google drive:

marker creation tools are in the /bin folder