Are stationary lights and light length limited?

Limit for overlapping stationary lights is 4, because of performance issues. You should be using Movable lights instead if you are trying to imitate light bounce.

Hello there !
I am very annoyed since UE4 stopped emissive shader to emit photon… and most importantly that photo are emitted from point light only (doesn’t take into account the light length)

That being said, I had to replace that with many tube lights, stationary, non shadow casting, many means around 80 per 2500square Unreal Unit… (i have absolutely no other choice)

Problem is that is seems there is a maximum light that can be drawn or something and when I copy my 80 to an adjacent area, they all switch to point light rendering !
(it’s a blueprint with the walls, floor and all the lights)

Is there a setting or something that can be done to fix that ?
Or a kind of LOD for lights… ?

All the tube lights turn into points.
Moving the camera view around shows that it’s not about bounds but about the number of stationary lights on screen

Strangely enough they don’t switch to points when they cast a shadow, but performance is horrible and shadows artifacts too. (and I don’t need shadows for them anyway)

Cheers,

Hello Jacky,

I know about the overlap, my problem is not about overlap at all.

It’s about… well what is written on my post : the tube lights that turns into point light because of something. (probably the maximum number of light drawn on screen) And they turn not when there are “4” of them but when there are around more than 80…
80 works absolutely fine and as intended. (stationary or movable)
They don’t switch to point when they cast shadow… so it’s… strange… (and of course when they cast shadow, yes there is the overlap problem) :slight_smile:

Ahh, sorry. I don’t know what the problem can be then. :\

Sounds like a bug with tube lights and tiled deferred. Try setting r.tileddeferredshading.minimumcount to a very large number in the console.

I know this is an old topic but I’m actually still experiencing this in 4.11.1. When looking through the Light Complexity render view, when tiled deferred enables all the lights switch back to normal point lights, and switch back once it leaves that render method. It occurs on both stationary and movable lights.