Any way to add "flat" light to the entire scene?

Is there any way to illuminate the entire level evenly?

I know about skylight, but I need it to be stationary and cast shadows for lightmass portals to work properly.
Ambient cubemap screws up reflective surfaces, especially mirrors. And gives weird tints here and there.
Point lights with shadowscasting turned off and a large radius also doesn’t work because it’s still a point light - i.e. surfaces that face it will be illuminated while surfaces that have it’s “back” to the point light will be dark. So that’s not an even illumination.
Environment color / Environment intensity in lightmass settings only work when there’s light from hemisphere available. I.e. it does nothing in closed-off spaces where directional light / sky light have no light bounces. On in corners far away from a window.
Upping exposure and adding color grading can lead to highlight being blown up and other sorts of things that negatively affects the image.

I wish there was like a slider that would simply add x amount of illumination to all the surfaces on the level. But I can’t figure out the way to do it.
Just to clarify what I want to achieve - I want to completely remove pitch-black shadows in closed-off spaces on my level. However, as I mentioned, I need my skylight to be static and cast shadows for lightmass portals to work in other places.

The best way to achieve what you are asking is by adding a vector3 constant to the Emissive slot in all of your master materials. This may require you to change your material workflow somewhat, but using material instances is a good practice anyway.

I thought about that, but that seems like a very annoying and janky solution.

For this scene, I just used a stock batch, aka, out of the box Lumen settings.
I added a couple of simple ‘emmiter’ materials and it worked for me.
In all honesty, there is probably a better way but;
The entire scene was created using an absolute base Nvidia graphics card (GTX 2060 3gig vram).
In fact, my ‘original idea’ was for ‘mom’ (the first person cam) to focus on statue one then focus on statue two.
Unfortuantely, I could not add another ‘point light’ to this single sequence without it crashing and unable to render per the contest rules.
Given a more ‘expansive’ amount of ‘limits’, I could have exported this scene in far more detail as an image sequence, at greater resolution and with a ■■■■■ ton of (r.) FX.
Alas, this video meets the base requirements for the ‘contest’.
As a 3D artist, you must always meet the requirements that the client asks for.

1 Like