Ambient Occlusion Baking Question

Hi there, i have some questions to the Ambient occlusion baking Workflow. I have searched for this several days but i cannot find anyone explainig this.

So, when i bake my ambient occlusion (World Settings: Use Ambeint occlusion) make the settings needed and press the “Build Lighting Only” Button. Light Build Quality set to Production.

It seems that the AO does not bake. I have made the Lightmap Resolution of my floor mesh to 1024.

I have tested this in a small scene with only a cube and a flor mesh in it, but i cant see the baked ao.

What i am doing.

I create a post process volume, make the settings that i need for my AO. Then i want to bake this in.
I Press Build Lighting. Now i turn off AO in the post process settings and my AO is gone.

I dont want the ao to be computet at runtime, i want it baked in, because the Framerate is too low in VR with computed AO.

Can anyone tell me how i can bake them in without computing tehm at runtime?

I’m also a bit confused by this option:

Seems it’s not really made for actual display (they expect you to use the realtime versions, though they don’t work well in VR)?

By default the ambient occlusion that is generated by lightmass is baked into the regular lightmap. That option allows you to effectively bake out a separate mask, which can be accessed from within the material editor to do material effects.

The caveat at the end about setting the indirect illumination occlusion fraction to zero is only if you don’t want the baked AO (perhaps if you’re using SSAO instead) but you still want the AO mask generated by lightmass.

Thank you for the reply and the explanation.

This is a new area for me… if the target is a forward shaded VR scene with movable objects and directional lights, yet I want to bake only AO into the lightmaps of those objects, could you tell me what settings to use?

(I also have a different example where there’s actually spotlights in a cabin on a ship, plus directional lights from outside, where I’d want to bake the spotlight light but not the directional, but that’s an even more advanced example, I think…)