AI won't walk on wall - NavMesh

Hello, appreciate any help here. I made a wall and stairs in blender and imported in. I used UE to create complex collision on the static mesh (wall and stairs). Player controller and navigate without any issues - it’s perfect. However, the AI won’t walk on the wall or stairs at all.

Here is the walls/stairs w/ the navigatable area on. The ceiling of the NavMeshBounds is very high, so it shouldn’t be a height issue.

AI can navigate the landscape on the ground no problem

All of the assets are set up like this for collision. Complex

Show us your code for AI navigation.

Hello Shunitzo,
I use a behavior tree - starts with can AI see player or not. If not, they move to a random point. Where the error is happening (only on the walls, works fine on the ground) is the Patroll Enum - Go to Random Location - and runs a task

Here is Behavior Tree

Here is the Task

The task always fails on AI MoveTo

Hm. Try to check if waypoint is valid.

@Shunitzo
it is valid, when I print string the location it wants to go it, it returns a value… I think it has something to do w/ the nav space on the wall for the AI. Player Character can walk no problem. And when I put AI waypoint and AI spawn point on the ground level on the landscape, it works fine… so it is something to do with the static mesh conflicting w/ the nav area. But it’s completely green… so I don’t get it.

The character has some movement settings that determine stuff like slope angles and what not.

Try to make sure thats not the issue (make a slanted landscape, see if it walks on it fine).

If its not the slope, then you are back at “its the static mesh”…
Theres some mesh options you should review, like character can step on and more hidden away in sub menus…

If what @MostHost_LA said didn’t help, try drawing lines for path points

Call it right after ai move to

Also show waypoint in the world.

@Shunitzo /@MostHost_LA
Is there a setting somewhere that controls map height or something like that? This is a new level… so Im wondering if I don’t have something turned on that should be… it seems to just be the height that is the problem. On other maps, the same method works for AI going up stairs, hills, ramps, etc. I think the AI is maybe glitching out because of the height?

I tried just using one of the default blocks and still doesn’t work… so I think maybe it’s not actually my custom mesh… The orange box in the bacgrkound is the NavMeshBoundVolume, which has a very heigh ceiling… so I don’t think it’s conflicting w/ that

You need to make sure that waypoint is reachable. NavMesh shouldn’t have holes in it along the way to the waypoint.

@Shunitzo /@MostHost_LA okay… there is some weird stuff going on now…

And it’s impacting other maps now. Here is just a bridge nav path looks fine.

But then, in game, it shifts to the right… so play in editor and eject, and when I go over there, the path has shifted like below and AI is getting stuck because the nav says it’s good, but it’s not.

@Shunitzo , I did the draw debug line. It draws a straight line to the point it returns.

That hasn’t been an issue at all before. Because AI would get a point, then just find the most optimal path… but now, with the navigation shifting in play… it’s screwing it all up.

You can see the path being drawn here:

The AI Waypoint is just this:

Just a blank actor w/ a sphere. The AI will find a random spot within that sphere, then move to it

Thank you both so much for the help, I appreciate it!

okay… that is what the issue is right now on the map with the castle wall. The navigation area is shifting…

This snip is taken during gameplay… the nav plane is shifting…

Okay… for anyone having issues w/ Navigation for AI… it’s bug. All you have to do is delete the navigation mesh volume… and replace it. And your good!

1 Like

You should probably be using nav invokers in your level anyway.

It doesn’t really look like something which needs manicured nav-meshes…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.