AI bumping into each other

Hey, I just need a little hint. How to make it so the AI´s dont bump into each other when getting to a certain location? I want to keep it as simple as possible. I was thinking of something that when the AI hits other AI (or mby any other object) and is already in a radius that is close enough to the target point it will stop moving towards it and the sequence in BT continues. IDK if it is something that you can simply do. Any suggestions?

Hi, you can look at the docs for that here Using Avoidance With the Navigation System | Unreal Engine Documentation. Generally speaking, you have RVO avoidance and crowd avoidance, I use crowd avoidance right now.

If you use blueprint, then I guess all you need to do to use crowd avoidance, is to use ‘DetourCrowdAIController’ instead of the normal one.

3 Likes

There are built in capabilities - check this out: Using Avoidance With the Navigation System | Unreal Engine Documentation

3 Likes

@Light_Shock @chrudimer First of all thank you guys for your replies, I did not even know that something like that existed. It looks like exactly what I wanted but sadly I am currently not able to afford to change the whole controller type since it already has so many references that I´d need to change basically everything. I am currently using “EnemyAIController” since I thought that it´ll be the best option for Enemy AI.

I´ll leave the topic open in case someone else could think of any other solutions, but in general it is what I was looking for. Thank you again!

but sadly I am currently not able to afford to change the whole controller type since it already has so many references that I´d need to change basically everything.

You can just change the parent of your ‘EnemyAIController’ to ‘DetourCrowdAIController’, then you won’t need to redo anything :slight_smile:

And as far as I know you don’t need any new AI controller for RVO, it just works in the movement component.

So both things should work in your case.

5 Likes

You can just change the parent of your ‘EnemyAIController’ to ‘DetourCrowdAIController’, then you won’t need to redo anything

Yes, that´s it! Thank you a lot for your time, I really appreciate it!

1 Like