Action RPG Inventory System

So I tried following along with the video on merging but i’m not very smart…

I"ve been working with some code like skill tree, abilities, etc, so I want to merge it.

I never made a player controller (but does the third person template automatically make one???) so I’m not sure if I should switch out (Cast to inventory controller) to (Player Controller)

Any help would be great. I need a very stupid and simple explanation.

Did you or anyone else found a way or has some tipps for achieving such a thing?!
Appreciating any help.

@Knaarke, @Askyl
I have before, but it has been awhile. There are a couple of ways to do it, mostly depending on what weapon system you are using. I’ll have to look at my projects this weekend to remember how I did it.

First of all, I love the inventory, well worth the money! I am trying to save the inventory and equipment from my character on my singleplayer game I’m working on. I set up a Save Game blueprint referencing the “Inventory Item” variable, which I then turned into an array. I Setup the saving and loading functionality as I’ve seen with many guides, and on the ue4 tutorial. Yet, Nothing saves. Do I have to do anything special to get it to work?

Nice. Would be great if you find the old project concerning this problem. My “weapon system” if any would be like a “Diablo-One” but without equipping meshes just using the items(weapons) as place holder for stats and so on.
Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

I use the ‘Weapon Component’ for my system. So I do not use the ‘Main Hand’ in equipment character to equip a weapon, so the process may be different but the logic would be similar just in different blueprints. Check your current weapon reference is valid, if so unequip, same for offhand, then set new current weapon actor ref, my weapons Enum has a 2H weapon entry, then attach the actor in correct socket. So when ever you need to check weapon type get current weapon actor switch on Enum for Weapon type to determine if you should shoot, 2h attack, 1h attack or unarmed.(if current weapon actor is not valid).

If you are only using the ARPG inv then I can make a video showing just that sometime. The issue of equipping in the off hand if you have a 1h weapon in main is more complicated.

hi
found what seems to be a major game bug. The ‘initialise player’ event when linked to begin play, in the inventory player controller seems to crash 4.19.2 Game breaking bug, needs a fix asap

Urgent, reply requested re ARPG bug , The ‘initialise player’ event when linked to begin play, in the inventory player controller seems to crash 4.19.2 Game breaking bug, needs a fix asap.
happens when migrating 4.18 into 4.19 , or using launcher itself to update prject to 4.19. Can confirm by deleting initialise player it works fine, so its not the rest of the project. Can you put a fix, or at least screengrab of a version of initialise player thwt works in 4.19.2 and i will simply delete old initliase player BP nodes and recreate from you screengrab.
Needs urgent fix asap as is holding up a project

Thanks! I figured it out with the weapon system I use :)!

4.20 does not work currently. Just tried to upgrade from a blank 4.19 Action RPG Inventory project to 4.20. Instead icons just white boxes are painted. Except at the two iventory slots that has some start items set. If you drag and drop the apple into one of the white boxes it still remains a white box (tooltip does work). You can drag and drop back from the white box into the first slot and it’s painted as apple again. That white comes from the “Button” in the Inventory_Slot widget. However I’m not sure why there is no image update on the empty slots anymore.

screenshot.jpg

Hi I offer support when i can, I will look into this issue later today and post up a fix if no one else has by that time.

Here is a fix

Here is a fix.

Updated to fix the issue with losing the Paper Doll Equipment Slot background icons

Replace ItemInformation.icon on the Icon image with a new function with the logic below, create a new Texture 2D variable a name it PaperDollIcon set it to the properties shown in the image and set the default value to the T_UI_Slot, then in the Equipment widget click on each InventorySlot and set the Paper Doll Icon with the image found in the boarder element above it or to your own custom image if you have one, after this is done the the boarder can be deleted, this will needs to be done for all the UMG Slots.

1 Like

It works well. Thanks for the fix.

Version 2.0 - Submitted - July 20th 2018
------- Update Notes -------

Fixed inventory slots showing as white icon boxes (UMG issue Epic never fixed)
*Use OverRated’s fix posted above. It’s not a perfect fix as you lose the Paper Doll Equipment Slot background icons. But you can manually reassign those by *editing the **Equipment **UMG file and update each of the **Inventory_Slot’s **PaperDollIcon with the correct slot icon for each equipment slot.

Inventory_Slot]

• Go into the*Content/InventorySystem/UI/Blueprints/Inventory/*Inventory_Slot UMG file and select the Icon element.
    Then replace the **Brush **binding to ItemInformation.Icon with a **new Binding. **
    The attached screenshot will show you where to find how to do that.

• Create the logic as shown in Overrated’s Post for the new Brush binding.

Then do the same thing for both the *Content/InventorySystem/UI/Blueprints/Inventory/*HotBar_Slot and Container_Slot UMG file.

Hi Neutronux,

I have updated the fix to correct the issue Pirate mentioned above with the Equipment Slot background, I didn’t take into account how the backgrounds where being displayed so i have updated that also.

I’m trying to convert the project to a top down view. I’ve puzzled most of it out, but the equipment character parent is messing with the movement of the inventory character child (i’m assuming it has something to do with the equipment slots). any suggestions on how to change equipment character blueprint to not mess with movement of it’s child?

Movement changes should be done in the parent if your game is solely a top down view so the changes apply to other characters classes to, the child’s values you set will overrided the parent classes.

I have an issue within my ARPGIS merged w/ MTD kit and this issue is in a default MultiplayerTopDown kit (4.19 & 4.20) on a marketplace aswell, as you can see on image 1 window - host, 2 window - client and on a client side player names are not shown. Any 1 who ve fixed it alrdy? Will apreciate any suggestion.

If I add an extra skeletal / static mesh variable into the inventory item structure. When I try to retrieve the information I get nothing?
Any other variable type seems to work.

[Yes I changed the value inside of the item data table]

When I use print string it does not even come up as ‘none’ simply an empty space.

Am I missing something more that I need to do?

Thank you.

Any notice about updates?