Action RPG Inventory System

Guys this is a support thread, not a tutor course, and most of these question have already been answered so please take the time to look.

Is that directed at me too?

Iā€™ve searched, Iā€™ve read lots of pages (there are 99) but Iā€™m asking a specific question and havenā€™t found anything related to what Iā€™m trying to do.
Iā€™m appealing to someoneā€™s good nature as a fellow developer to help me out.

If you werenā€™t directing that at me then fair enough. Iā€™m not just sitting here waiting for the someone to do it for me, I want to learn and plug the gaps in my knowledge (thereā€™s a lot of them).
Iā€™ve seen you on here for a long time and checked out your progress on your project and youā€™re very talented, for sure. You could probably do what Iā€™m trying to do in your sleep! :wink:

If you can direct me to how I can learn to do what Iā€™m asking, within ARPGIS Iā€™d really appreciate it.
Thanks

Daz

It was not supposed to be.
This was an issue on the marketplace teams end. they have changed the way assets roll out on the web form and I guess it bugged the his project. Itā€™s been sorted out now.

I would start with a basic save system, this would be a file saved on the clients machine but would be easily manipulated. If youā€™re good with server and coding. You could use the JSON plugin to securely transfer the information to a dedicated webserver. Since duping and hacking and all that would be quite easy.

This is no small feat, at least not for me. You may need to hire someone depending on your skill level.

here is a post on Reddit that will explain more avenues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengine/comments/3t92km/question_online_multiplayer_player_data/

I hope that gives you a point in a direction, I wish I could be more helpful.

Hey Rob,

Thx so much for your reply. I think youā€™re on the right lines that I need to save the state of the item and reload the reference when the item is discarded and picked up again, or equipped/unequipped. I donā€™t think Iā€™d need to all the server stuff because this will be a single player experience and I think it would be enough to store the items and stats in some kind of array?

I donā€™t know precisely, which is why Iā€™m asking. Iā€™ll keep digging and read the link you sent anyway as I might be misunderstanding you.

Thx for your help mate.
Daz

so i sort of realised in order to get weapon functionality with the ARPGI id have to set up a weapon blueprint system. im having a bit of trouble figuring out how to actually assign a weapon class to the blueprint. everything ive tried so far has led to a ā€œaccessed noneā€ entry in the debug window. anyone here figure out how to set this up?

I tried to setup a system where items have a weapon type. Depending on the weapon type, the animation blueprint would use a different blendspace. For some reason, my blendspace isnā€™t ā€œreplicatingā€ to the client, even tho the server recognizes when switching weapon types. Any ideas?
Image of the animations replicating was too big to fit in the post so hereā€™s the link to an imgur album:
EDIT: Got it working :slight_smile:

I kinda found what was wrong. When I made my project I deleted the ā€œDemoā€ Folder in the blueprints folder, which for some reason doesnā€™t initialize the inventory for my character.
If someone has the time and more knowledge than I obviously have, can explain to me whatā€™s wrong and why we canā€™t delete the demo folder which I assumed was modular and for demo purposes only, that would be awesome. Thanks !

Hi, the demo folder contains example content for the inventory if you deleted it in the editor it would of shown assets that are tied to these examples.

Someone has a integration video to the MMO kit?

Nice forum btw, lot of usefull information

Hey there firstly wow awsome system. im very new to unreal and realy enjoy the system. Thus i did buy this so that i can start making a rpg game. i have one question how do i start this character without making it using the demo caracters

Hi,
@Pirate

I have migrated the inventory system into my shooter project, it seems good , but i have a strange issue.
I cannot see the picked up item in my inventory(Nor icon) or i cannot drag item from container to inventory ,similiar happens when i try to drag on hotbar slot ,BUT dragging from container to equipment it works .
Although pick up item works , add item fucntion is good linkedā€¦
There is no error.
I tried to use the basic inventorycontroller ,too with equipemnt character it works good.

Any idea what can cause this inventory problem ? :\

(I added equipmentinventory component(renamed to PlayerInventoryComponent) and InventorymanagerComponent to MyplayerController , is it okay right ? I just did like the video)
Thank you

Since 4.18 I have an issue with the tooltip, all items say theyā€™re ā€œhead slotā€ in the tool tip when you hover over them, even if theyā€™re shoulder armor, weapons etc. Anyone else with this problem?

Iā€™m having the same issue, Iā€™ve had several integration issues and took 4 attempts going off the tutorial to get it working somewhat properly, biggest issues Iā€™m running into are tool tip not displaying right, and creating new world actors like a potion for example. They refuse to work, the existing consumables get consumed but do nothing. The only thing I can possibly guess is that itā€™s not referencing the player controller/player correctly. But in my project I call health from the player not the controller so I assume thatā€™s part of it.

thereā€™s also an issue with the eslate visibility going on for interact functions, they work properly but every time you PIE, it throws back the same error 600+ times in half a minute

I will say however that some of the logic is outdated for the current engine patch, I know that when you load the project in 4.18 now unreal informs you to update a node, donā€™t remember which one it was but unreal tells you itā€™s depreciated

Discovered part of the problem, in the video he tells you to insert a delay for 5 seconds at this point, while it sounded like good reasoningā€¦ it causes the HUDReference variable later in the chain to return a null result. remove the delay

Done that. Will try the above solution as well and edit the result! :slight_smile: Kind of need it to workā€¦

Edit: Tooltip is still wrong saying all items are Head. I just also realized that all stats are missing as well on every item. I only have Name+ā€œHeadā€ even if itā€™s not head armor.

If anyone got a fix for this Iā€™d love you! Iā€™m cracking my ā€œheadā€ up for this.

Edit: Iā€™ve noticed that the tooltip is working as intended if you open up a fresh inventory project, Iā€™ve set everything up exactly as it is in the fresh project in mine, but the tooltip is still wrong. Really canā€™t figure out why it doesnā€™t work.

Good day,in tutorial ā€˜Multiplayer TopDown Kit - Merging The RPG Inventory Systemā€™
Iā€™m not getting ā€œPlayer Inventory Componentā€, when doing the set up at 4:59, and the Inventory Manager is only showing up as a Custom Class as an ā€œAdd Inventory Manager Componentā€. I followed your tutorial to the letter prior to then. Whatā€™d I do wrong?

Hi pirate,
just purchased this , ive seen the convert to first person tutorial online by using search on this forum, and will enact that. I am though having issues,
As a bit of feedback and request. right now and the suggestion is please can you do a strimmed down tutorial for migration that assumes
1 i use the inventory player controller
2 i use my own player pawn.
which to me seems the most likely scenario for many purchasers anyway. I cant devote 40 minutes to integrate the compoenent and twice that to analyse and test;
At the moment when i use the existing tutorial and ignore player controller steps, my first person pawn movement is locked up. I suspect its due to client: initialise components logic in the inventory player controller. I am aware of convert to fps motion tutorial, but it does not carry over to my own pawn seemingly.
i need to be able to jumo between 2-3 pawns for multiple play styles, or jumo from first to third person pov, so i dont get why id i use yiur player contoller is suggests non pawn nonportability.
Maybe there is something in the 40 min tutorial i missed but the complaint its organisation. Maybe put the bulk of it first, then an annex if the person is using their own player controller. Ie that if im ignoring large sections of it , there maybe something i missed due to thinking ā€˜ignore all changes to player controllerā€™

Hi, im still wrestling with aspects of it. Please, anyone, whats the best practice to ensure item removal persistancy accross level streaming volumes. As i stop gap ive created a pan game world volume for all the items, but this defeats the point of level streaming. Whats the best prqctice way to stream in and out levels in an open world but not have the picked up items respawn (To be honest i would have thought this would be part of the marketplace pack, as level streaming is so important). Thanks for all advice