4.26 performance

Or course! I meant something that they would consider a non feasible solution (because of priority, lazyness, or whatever excuse they would want to give us. But at least, and official excuse).

I already submitted it as a bug lot of time ago, with no response. Probably, the most of us reporting it, the most visible/prioritary this issue will be:
https://epicsupport.force.com/unrealengine/s/

Hi, yes it will disable all tranclucencyā€¦ but this reveals that 4.26 is rendering some translucent materials even if none are present in a scene. Thatā€™s why some scenes run much worse in 4.26.

In 4.25 it seems to automatically understand that there are no translucent objects and not waste precious ms on rendering that pass.

3 Likes

This could be the problem, translucency. Have you tried to test a map without any translucent materials, on and off?

I have found that SSAO hits hard, might be part of it?

Also, while itā€™s not this patch, Iā€™d like to mention that updating instances is much more expensive in 4.25. Not sure if thatā€™s the exact version, or if itā€™s one of the hotfixes, but I believe itā€™s 4.25.

Was wondering if anyone tried their projects in UE5 , and if there any performance changes there?

Yea itā€™s about 80% worse than ue4 .26

Canā€™t be a good thing. What the heck are they doing to the engine ?

Itā€™s not.
From what the updates have shown us repeatedly over time, the epic team just donā€™t care about performance, or their user base, or the bug report form one bit.

They have direct access to get the latest RTX on the market, while normal people canā€™t get one even at a 400% markup. So, for them, performance isnā€™t an issue.
The rest of the world stuck on a 1080ti or similar (because the rtx cards all blow anyway until the 30x series which you can barely purchase) is just SOoL.

That said, I personally still have to check .27 preview for any changes.

Considering that this proven fps drop was never actually acknowledged by the epic Team at all short of 1 *what I wasnā€™t aware of this* message from staff, and that UE5 with out lumen performs a lot more poorly, I seriously donā€™t expect to see the FPS rise againā€¦

/ after testing, Iā€™m taking all my projects off to cryengineā€¦

1 Like

Yea i get the feeling they are following like all the other devā€™s and gamemaker studios , " just make it look better " . Photorealistic. To me it seems it makes more sense to have performance balanced in . Then more people with lower end specs can play the games. Thus more sales. Especially now with such difficulty getting better GPUā€™s.

Can these projects be ported to Cryengine?

Has anyone tried 4.27 preview 1? Any difference?

2 Likes

Yes and it hasnā€™t solved the issue

1 Like

What results you getting? Can you share GPU stat and GPU profile from both versions?
Is it same bad?

IDK, itā€™s been compiling shaders for 3 hours straightā€¦ but itā€™s running at 75FPS vs the 60FPS it usually runs at when compiling shaders. Will update as soon as it stops compiling. It looks a little more promising than usual, but itā€™s probably not.

Ok, it appears that my test scene is running about 10fps faster in .27 preview.
Itā€™s still not hitting the 120FPS that it hits in .25, but Iā€™m thinking maybe the window size is different, and I really donā€™t want to waste time on checking on that right now.

Overall, I think this version is running smoother rendering wise.

Will they release a full 4.27 version?

I noticed when i change , say large things like ocean water or landscape material from ā€œdefault litā€ to say , " from material expression " , FPS will jump up from about 30 to near 70 , but after i save the level , then play again it drops back down in the 30 's .

4.27 not bring any differences. Im using dynamic lightning and high settings without RTX on 3070 i get something around 70fps vs 100 on 4.25. Im already regret we moved so fast to 4.26 version and cant revert back at this point.

Anecdotal here obviously ā€¦ but running with Forward Renderer and no significant FPS change from 4.25 to 4.26 that we have seen.

So the problem is related with one of the options enabled on Deferred Renderingā€¦