4.26 Incorrect Phsyical Material returning on Landscape Layers setup

Hiya,

I’m having a hard time trying to set up Physical Materials on a landscape that is using layers and returning the correct Phyiscal Material when line-tracing for it.

I’ve seen this issue reported before and apparently it had been fixed in UE 4.26. However the issue is still persisting for me. The thing that keeps coming up is to check “Generate overlap events” on the landscape, but it did not solve it for me.

Here’s a few screenshots of my setup. In this case I am focussing on the layer called “FlagStone

1. Each Layer has it’s own LayerInfo assigned.

2. This is the FlagStone layerinfo. Note the phyiscal material PM_FlagStone

3. The Phsyical material, with the FlagStone surface type assigned, which I added via the project properties

4. The simple blueprint to trace the the landscape and print the result

5. And here is a test in game with a print debug of the trace down to the landscape. See it is returning the Grass surface type, which is assigned to my PM_Grass physical material… And the player is running along the area where FlagStone is painted. I should expect it to return "FlagStone"

Thank you in advance!

For future reference:

I posted this question a while ago and I’ve found a work-around since. Though I would still class this as a bug.

To fix this I reworked my landscape layers so that all painting was done on one layer. It seems the trace only detects surface types on the base layer.

I also switched my workflow to work exclusively with weight blended layers. It seems having non-weighted blends is not compatible with this approach either. I find this a bit tricky with my painting workflows though especially with using the paint erasing tools.

I’ll need to come up with a workflow that results in all my paints being on that single base layer…

Just came across this issue myself. I do not understand what you mean by reworking your landscape layers to be all on one layer.

@xnar I had multiple paint layers on multiple landscape layers. I copied all the paint information from the layers onto one “base” layer that contained all the painted data, then removed all the now empty landscape layers. Doing that seemed to make the detection work again.

Do you mean landscape edit layers?
I have never used them, but still the same issue like in your first post ^^

Please explain with real names.