2021 Epic MegaJam Registration is Now Open!

Is there a last sign-up date for Assembla?

Hi everyone! We’re a team of 4 looking for our last and final member :slight_smile:

We have a diverse skillset. Our team consists of:

Me @danieljackson#0286 Im a 3D artist who loves sci-fi! I work mainly with Blender & like the trimsheet workflow very much currently. Aside from this I’ve also spent quite a lot of hours in UE4 as well.

When it comes to games Ive done a few practice projects left and right, but never anything released to the public other than this little ping pong game: Space Ship Ping Pong by officernickwilde (Note that this wasnt made in UE :heart: )

And when it comes to design and modeling, this is some of my work (click the links for more images!):

I would prefer to find a team working with UE5 as its easier not to worry about polycounts or alternatively a team doing project where performance limitations are not a concern.

Im familiar with Blueprints and C++ (although I never deepdived C++ with UE4 as I find the workflow rather slow) as well as that Im currently learning Python.

@Shufletohustle#7118 I’ve been using UE4 since Epic offered it publicly with the subscription model, I mainly do UE4 as a hobby, I work as a Technical project manager for a company that makes white label, turnkey and API music solutions globally for companies wanting to build a platform similar to Spotify or Audible in their respective regions and markets.

I’ve completed a degree in profession game develop with a focus on programming.

Last year I did a solo game jam with the theme “Escape room” The Polar Project by Shufletohustle for Ryan Laley Games Jam 2020 - itch.io. Focusing on puzzle mechanics and object interaction.

@AntoineOMEGA#1371 I have some experience with blueprint.

Other related projects.

I do quite a bit of web design and development.

Here are a few things I made with Blender.

@LaLoge#1344 I work in UE5 and do c++ mainly and can also do BPs. I’ve published 2 games on itch and made around 500 USD from my latest project so I’m used to the workflow.

We have a Discord and Trello, already discussing some ideas of where we wanna bring the project. We’re looking to setup an efficient workflow early so we can make most use of the week

If anyone is interested in joining our team, please dont hesitate send us a message! Im best reached via Discord: danieljackson#0286 :tada:

There is not. We will continue to add and invite people that have signed up throughout the Jam. However, it is best to sign-up before the event, so there isn’t anything to hold up progress.

Is there any possibility that we might be allowed with 6 members on a team and still have an equal chance of winning any prices?

We’re having a bit of difficulty making some internal decisions :blush:

Unfortunately not. The strict team limit for participation is 1-5 team members.

Can Assembla help with compiling the project as well (shaders & custom C++ classes)?

Also can we setup multiuser editing through the assembla project? Multi-User Editing | Unreal Engine Documentation

And finally it turns out that one of our team members are located in Italy. One of the countries that cannot participate, would this disqualify the entire team or would this only result in that particular team member not being able to receive his price (but only the pride of winning an award)?

Seems a SkyeEden already answered this question about our Italian team member on Unreal Slacker. Honestly I think its discriminating disqualifying the whole team for one member being from a certain country. Its understandable if you cant send prizes all over the globe due to local regulations but not allowing them to participate to win pride and glory doesnt feel right (yes, btw, Im from a feminist pride country so it would be against my nature not to point this out, it hurts in my heart to kick someone off the team for such reasons as this).

Edit: Also, can we upload our project to 3rd party websites such as google drive and link that on our itchio page if we cant get our game to fit under the 2gb limit of the butler tool?

Hello everybody, I would like to ask about the final package:

In the project requirements it says that the package must be a Development Build, and after that it says “No full, unpackaged projects”. Is it a build/package or a project/source what we need to deliver?

The Tiny Award category says it is for games below 150mb. I’ve just double checked and the size of an empty project packaged for Windows is above 200mb as Development Build (even after following the steps on the Unreal documentation for reducing the package size).

Am I missing something? Should it say Shipping Build instead of Development in the project requirements? Or is the size from the Tiny Award considering the Shipping Build or the project/source?

Thank you!

Hey,

In the project requirements it says that the package must be a Development Build

That’s referred to the the iOS build, for Windows you can use Shipping.

No full, unpackaged projects

It means that no uproject and source files, but a packaged build.

1 Like

Alright, got it now. Thank you, Kristof!

Thank you for organizing such a wonderful event!

I just had a look at the official rules and was a bit confused by the license terms. Is there any specific reason why Epic (and the sponsors etc.) need exclusive rights to all winning entries? This means the people who created and submitted a game are not allowed to show their work anymore, can’t work on it further, like making it into a polished game, sell it etc. (§7 about Winning Entrants), unless Epic (and the sponsors) would grant them back these rights, which isn’t stated anywhere, as far as I could see.

Maybe someone could let me know why the license terms were created in such a fashion. Thanks!

2 Likes

how do I solve the shadow problem in the stereo?

https://learn.unrealengine.com/home/LearningPath/119437
EPIC MegaJam learn page. This is the one I did. Hope it helps

1 Like

Hi, I’m creating a game for the Jam. Can we use the free assets in your marketplace? what about Mixamo animations? Thanks

You can, but all pre-made and non originally sourced assets need to be noted down along with your submission.

Good luck and have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Quick Assembla update. All those who signed up via the form have been invited to their space. Good luck, and have fun!
If you don’t see the email, please check your spam/junk.

Reveal of the 2021 Epic MegaJam theme-

2021EpicMegaJam_ThemeReveal

Good to know, thank you

How is the KitBasher3d rule exactly? Can we use all meshes that are inside one of the Actor Blueprints or can we just use only one mesh from the package?

1 Like

I am excited to participate in my first ever game jam. Got back from vacation today, and am ready to get stuck in on a small project in my spare time, hopefully I can get something out by the submission deadline on Thursday.

I just wanted to check if there is a specific forum thread I need to post my progress in? Or can I post in the Work-in-Progress thread of the Unreal Engine forums?

Does the game have to be 3d or can it be 2d