Viewport blurry after upgrading to 5.3 from 5.1

Hello all, after upgrading my project to 5.3 the viewport is blurry when playing in standalone game, it is not blurry when I play in the editor.

this is in 5.1

this is in 5.3

I did not change anything, how do I fix this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nult63uHaQ8 This should show the problem better than the screenshots :slight_smile:

Hello,

Try increasing the POOL SIZE to something like 5000:

OR

You can force your MetaHuman to display at a higher resolution by increasing the SCALABILITY SETTINGS to HIGH.

For me, personally, 5.3 requires more resources than 5.0 - 5.1. Not sure why. Maybe its newer features are being cached and require the extra processing power.

Thank you for your answer, maybe I was clear (and the screenshots get downscaled on the forum so my issue is less visible) but it is high resolution when I play in editor, its when I play as standalone game that it becomes low resolution/blurry.

Hopefully this is better visible zoomed in:

Playing in editor:

Playing in standalone game:

its most visible on the face, but everything is blurry like that.

Hopefully this shows the problem better

No, I’m the one who was mistaken.

Have you coded the quality settings via a blueprint so that when the game is packaged, those settings are applied?

You may need to do this to force the correct amount of streaming. Check your scalability settings, and apply them in an active blueprint.

Or you can permanently increase the POOL SIZE:

I had this identical issue, but mine was in the editor, so I imagine your issue is because the editor settings are not being carried over in-game (after being packaged).

EDIT:

Just saw the “Standalone Game” video you posted. I thought you meant PACKAGED game. Try packaging the game and see what happens.

adding this did not change anything sadly, I will try to package and see if that fixes it

-CROSSING FINGERS-

If it comes out good, then I guess it’s a bug/minor annoyance. One that can probably be fixed by migrating the project (but I doubt it… again, could be because of the additional overhead).

I think the standalone is played at a lower quality because it’s running at the same time with the main editor, so the amount of work the GPU has to do is probably excessive.

I really hope so, sorry its taking a while, havent packaged in quite a long time so have to get rid of some errors

sadly it is also blurry/low resolution in the packaged game :frowning:

This… is a problem. I’ll continue to do some more research.

Keep me posted if you find anything.

Just for my edification, there’s no TEXTURE STREAMING notification in the packaged game, correct? (Assuming you used the “development” setting.)

yes thats correct, I get no notifications and errors at all

EDIT: checked the resolution scale and that said 100%, so that isnt it either

Can you try migrating your character to an empty project and see if you still encounter the same issues?

I get the same result, it is higher resolution in PIE, and still blurry in standalone

It does not seem to be a problem with my character, when I try it with the ue5 mannequin I have the same issue

Yes, my point is that it could be something in your project causing the issue.

If you can migrate the character successfully to an empty project and not get the blur, then it may be worth migrating your entire project into an empty project.

Sorry I meant with the message above that I have the issue in a new empty project too

Okay:

So, the next thing I would do is reinstall Unreal and/or update all GPU Drivers.

For now that’s all I got.

And to reiterate, opening up a fresh project is blurry, even with the default mannequin?

Alright I will try to reinstall thank you

And yes, when I make a new project (not changing anything), the standalone game is already lower resolution/more blurry than in PIE

Found the issue and fix!
Turns out UE sees a 4k desktop as a 2k desktop, no matter if you try to set the screen resolution in blueprints to 4k, it always renders at 2k (see top left of the screenshots), unless you turn on “Allow High DPI in Game Mode” in the project settings. (Engine → User Interface) It is off by default.

Before setting it to true:

After setting it to true:

That was the first issue, another issue was that in the standalone game and packaged game the game was being played with a 33% resolution scale, I now set that to 100% at the beginplay event and now everything works as intended!

Thank you for your time and help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

INTERESTING.