1 Question! How to make my game MMO?

You can absolutely help them. These forums are here for people to learn, not to be shot down before they get started. Obviously many new people have these “big game ideas” They’ll find out soon enough that it’s harder then it looks, the least you can do is point them in the right direction instead of treating them like nothing.

For this topic, there is no help to provide because all the information available requires some degree of experience already. You would have some hope if you already have some game development and multiplayer experience, but not if you’re starting from scratch.
The best advice we can provide is–learn everything

Edit: Also for anyone else reading, best general advice is to do a search first, if the answer is out there then you’ll find information much much faster than waiting for thread responses, and most things already have come up before. Like in the case of making an MMO it’s already been asked many many times before.

You see i cannot see a way how to help somebody that wants to make mmo and does not think about using search before asking such question. That indicates total lack of experience in not only making games but also any programming, for me its like somebody who just got their first bike asking how to fly fighter jet.

The best help is telling them, as is done here, to learn to walk before starting to run. Pointing them to networking or MMO related tech is most likely just gonna demotivate them at some point, as a beginner. Start small…

That’s no excuse to brush them off without an explanation. Now obviously the majority of people who post this kind of thread don’t actually end up sticking to their project, as they are dreamers not doers. Even though we know that, they don’t. The least you could do is break it to them softly instead of:

You shoot them down and they have no idea why, all they want to do is make their AAA multi-million dollar MMO and they don’t understand why you won’t help them.

Edit: If you look at OP’s post history you can see he has been asking for advice in other threads so at least he is making a visible effort.

Good, then that should help push him to learn or adjust his project ideas to something that he could accomplish. It’s not just a majority of people who ask these questions that don’t do anything with it, it’s 100%. Even for experienced people they’re more than likely not going to make their game.

We are making our own Multiplayer game from scratch (including writing a ton of netcode) and its pretty difficult. Honestly, i’d go work on something smaller to start with.

All darthviper107 had to do was to link the wiki page that has a few samples and a brief about networking.

I’d expect this sort of behavior from normal users but not from moderators.

That will not help a beginner
Also, if you’re really concerned about the lack of helpful information from other people’s posts, why haven’t you responded to the poster with the type of help you’ve been talking about?
Or perhaps this is such a broad and complex topic that there isn’t really any way to guide a beginner for this type of thing.

This thread makes me so sad.
What a world, where newbies have to fight, such a hard fight.
Lionbabies(newbie users) for example get always help from their mothers(experienced users), but when another male lion(moderator = overexperienced user + godmode) is overtaking territory, he will kill(kickban) the existing lionbabies!
Then he has wild sex with the existing female lions, to create fresh lionbabies with own DNA, to spread his seed!
Be prepared…

I did…

I agree that he may not succeed straight away but it’s a start in the right direction. Mods should be more professional and helpful, they work for EPIC.

So, we are stuck here.
Both sites have Valid opinions but we wont get far if we continue arguing about them that much.

Truth is: The Forum Staff is supposed to help and guide and if they decide that this might be a troll or another “beginner” that dont understands that gamedevelopment is hard work then we have to take that.

Arguments were given for all kinds of sites but we wont get any further here, this is where the community managers come in place, as lead of both sites they have to review and decide the direction.

Sry when i drift a bit into OT here, but i really like his concept and it’s a project that needs maximum attention and maximum experience and maximum money.(we know that from the mods)
I support him with maximum positive vibes!

Next one in the row of “spreading negative vibes”, entering the scene. #illuminati
Why so negative?
Dead ends are created from humans for humans. When they would have not created it, logical that it would be not there.

When you awake some day with a big pile of gold and fairydust on your pillow, take it!
Would be your first action then, to wash the pillow?

Start with the easy part make a 3d scene.

Then learn the hard part network infrastructure, clustering and database IT.

MMO is mostly driven by databases and cluster networks.

+1
Very good MMO step by step tutorial!

You see folks I am helping as much as I can everywhere i see a bit hope for something more than few stupid questions (like this one in OP). If i see question about some topic that shows me that asking person already did something more than just asking, i always try to help best i can.

And IMO some good kicks in the lazy *** help them determine if they have enough confidence and stubbornness to pursuit goal of creating game, no offense but not everybody that wants to be game developer must be one, there are plenty other jobs and hobbies everywhere. Pandering to kids that just downloaded something from internet is not my task, their parents should do that. And if you are adult and instead of doing some search you ask same very broad question for 100th time, you better find another hobby than programming.

Also:

Ones that read FAQ will also do search and probably start something smaller, FAQ is pointless for those that cannot be bothered to do search, they also cannot be bothered to read FAQ or even topic headers on first page. So if they do not bother why i should bother, why their time is more precious than mine (or anybody who would need to write FAQ for nobody)?

That’s really not going to help on how to make an MMO, it’s useless information because it’s such a complex topic. And for a beginner it would be incredibly confusing because they have no knowledge of what comes before that. There’s also more to making an MMO than just networking, even stuff like the graphics have to be designed a certain way to work well for an MMO.
Do you see why stuff like that just isn’t helpful to a new person who wants to make an MMO?

Also, we are not Epic employees

Well it is to much to write. OP needs to research but the fact remains MMO is more database and cluster than UE has right now.

Here is what you have to do: ask dev team of epic games to make tutorial series about stable networking architecture for mmo and there you go :smiley:

I’ll give you this much.

Research is vital to the initial design phase. Just throwing together a idea without some solid research will end up being one big cluster fk.

As for UE itself the engine is designed around a single server as a network game and not designed with database backend or multi-computer support (clustering) without the capability to do enterprise level data access and enterprise level networking the engine will never be capable of MMO technology unless some one decides to write such an interface which would require a phd in networking or a team of engineers to do so.

The steps required are far beyond a kid in his garage to make a MMO capable engine which would be highly secure.

Why not research the networking layers first and database access. As for on line clouds, the cost is astronomically more expensive as more and more users get into the system since persistence is a MUST and security is of data a MUST have. with the number of transactions on a simple game could start costing 8 to 10 thousand dollars a month, it is NOT a wise move to use them.

Simple. Design the god **** game up front and see how well it will work with your system. Setup a local server and get the basic stuff running is like a mass education into all that I mentioned.

Here let me give you a massively online middleware that can be put into UE with some skill.

http://massiv.ow2.org/

It works and I have compiled, debugged it and tested it on 15 cores.