1 Question! How to make my game MMO?

A MMO with zombies could give the genre a fresh touch, if you ask me.
A world full of zombies, where zombies make babies and have houses and have to work.
Then you could sell zombie-assets there, rotten shoes and other stuff.
I think something like an ingameshop for purchasing and selling stuff could be nice too.

Yes they have now massive workforce, but think back into 1970 where first great game devs hade an idea about a MMO.
I think it was a small group of ppl, or even a single person who had the idea of any great game.
Where would we be today, when the community these early days suggested to the early thinkheads of Mazewar that it would be impossible to do so.
Then there would be no WOW today or anything cool, because ppl tend to stand negative against groundbreaking ideas first.

Think about oppenheimer, he was so negative. Before he started a nice nuclear test, he thought that the whole oxygene on earth would burn in a chainreaction.

But finally he was brave enough to press the button!
And now today we have this wonderful safe and clean powered world.
Think positive, always!

WOW did not come out of a small group over night. It was built upon Warcraft rts games and with an huge investment(cash). Blizzard games had earned a huge amount of money and had the fans to make this investment. They were also aware that the game had to sell well in order to reach an return of investment.

If you need to know about how Blizzard games(formerly know as something like Chaos etc.) went from a small company setttin up computers and service agreements as well as producing small games then here you go:

Creating a MMO requires people with skills, cash and time.

This company did an online campaign and got funded and actually manage to start pre shipping on Steam when some weird legal stuff due to the HeroEngine hit them(they are now moving to UE4 instead):
On steam they came:

The company and the MMO game:
https://www.therepopulation.com/
The move to UE4:
https://www.therepopulation.com/index.php/news/275-the-future-of-the-repopulation

That game started out in Torque Game Engine and ported to HeroEngine:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/18069
From HeroEngine forums:
https://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php?topic=742.70;wap2

Now as you see that game has been under long way.

It was funded through Kick stater:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/therepopulation/the-repopulation/description

MMO games are big stuff as you need to let many people work together :slight_smile:

Everything can be done with the right amount of skills, luck and cash… Just make sure you find and combine them all :wink:

I think someone is jerking your chain.

However, on the subject of MMO’s done by one person/small group, it is entirely possible. One example is the MMO-Kit which many have mentioned and another is Project Gorgon (using Unity) which is basically the work of one programmer over almost a decade.

It’s all a matter of scale. There is no rule that says a massively multiplayer game has to have a huge, well populated world. A MMO could be 2k matchstick players chasing a rubber duck around a zone the size of a basketball court. The rest of it is just bells and whistles.

I love this thread… I think it’s the best thing that’s happened to us for a while now

If you ask me, most important part for a single indie developer, or a small group of indiedevelopers (<5), to develop a sucessful MMO is good hardware and a nice Office workspace.
A second display could be good, to do multitasking things.
Then you could easy divide your worktime for project related objectives into half(where half is a variable[float] feeded from experience and wisdom), if you ask me.

When i would be you, then i would start now, to draw the MMO project related ideas somewhere down and import them later into UE4.
They are good to be placed as placeholders and could easy be extended later.
When you have for example a firestation with a tower onto it and you want to check the map from above, you could easy add collisionboxes, where you want to stand.

No insult, but please stay on topic!

I would have thought the most important things would be:

• Funding
  • Experienced, dedicated team members
  • A strong, experienced project manager

You could develop an MMO on cheap laptops in your parents’ basement if you have the above.

It kind of is on-topic. ‘Start with a single player game’ is a very valid answer to the question ‘how to make an mmo’, especially for an indie dev still learning the craft. I am assuming (from his previous posts/topics) that the OP does not have a game completed, ready to take on the larger task of multiplayer gaming. Making even simple single-player games will give him valuable skills and knowledge which can be used on a more ambitious project later. Tackling an MMO as your first project is, imo, a terrible idea.

Having fancy equipment and a clean office will do nothing without an experienced team. This is a bit like saying that the best way for me to write the next Great Novel is to buy a really nice pen.

I am still completely fascinated by your concept @anonymous_user_9e0fc205, even when the “dark forces” seem to pop up in groups now, to distract you.
I bet there is still a group trying to clone your project and “they” try to push you from the rail.
Never give up!

I know sir, that’s the reason i was talking about Mazewar and not WOW, sry if it was unclear, but for me it is not.

You see [MENTION=1386]Dwarf King[/MENTION] Sometimes a chicken is looking like a dog, but when you try to feed it, it turns out to be a cat!

A fancy equipment and a clean office will at least look like fancy equipment and a clean office, even without anyone in there.
When experience is growing, displays should do too.
Start gamedev with an old 19" Display and then work your way up to >23".
When a dev is so experienced to use a display in that size, he even get another one up to 40" with a tv tuner to watch tv, when not developing.

Sure… Sure… :confused:

Please, define “easy MMO”. Because as far as I am aware there is no such thing.:frowning:

We are in 2016 now, MMO’s are no longer scary. In 2 mins you can have cloud servers all around the world for few bucks.

+1
Not even zombies are scary in 2016, but many gamedevs are using them!

Having servers means nothing, if you think about all the AAA games that have problems with simple multiplayer then consider how MMO type games are even more complex

Having a server is indeed easy nowadays, but that is not where the problems start. MMO’s are not easy, not even in 2016.
And they won’t be for quite some years after that either. Especially not when you are just delving into game dev.

I don’t this the OP wants to make a AAA title.

Same networking issues apply whether you’re making a AAA game or not

Howto run a MMO without it?

Soo aren’t Moderators supposed to help people? :confused:

As taken from the Moderator section in the forum FAQ:** Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.**

Yeah OT but looks like darth forgets he’s a mod.

In case you haven’t read the documentation wiki, you can start from how to do multiplayer in Blueprints:

There’s many inexperienced people that keep asking how to make MMO’s and it’s such a complex matter that there’s no way you can help an inexperienced person with that goal. It requires every part of game development and is a huge amount of work.